Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I visited Antero yesterday, arrived at 8:30 and departed around 3 pm. Never went more than 40 minutes without a bite, but most bites came as singles. Landed one nice 22 inch rainbow and a number of 14-16 inch cuttbows and rainbows. Beautiful day, 6 inches of ice, but did see some water seeping through the cracks towards the end of the day. Also saw fish rising in the open water. Orange, white, and gold were the best colors. Now for the miracle. Around 9 am my son landed a 14 inch rainbow. We were still in the process of setting up and got another bite. We both moved towards the pole but didn't get there in time. Pole, reel and stand all quickly vanished down the hole. In 40 years of ice fishing, I've never lost a rod, so I guess I was due. From time to time, throughout the day, I would cut holes in the general direction that the fish and gear had went, and look down the hole. Only saw weeds and my reflection looking back at me. Around 2:30 we moved back to our original holes. We noticed a bunch of weeds had drifted up into the hole where the pole had disappeared. I joked that the fish had returned and been dragging the rod and reel through the area. We started to pack up around three, only because nature was insisting that I make a port-a-potty visit.

As my son brought up the last rod he felt a little hit, dropped it down again and had a fish on. I moved over to assist him and noticed I could see both of his jigs, yet there was obviously a fish at play. I reached down below the jigs and found line, pulled it up carefully, and before our eyes a Festivus miracle transpired. Not only did we get the rod, reel, and both jigs back, but a 16 inch cuttbow as well. Sometimes the best gifts are re-gifted. Here are a couple of pics.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow Excellent!...nice job getting out with your son...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts