Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much different is your technique when fighting fish with barbless hooks? Is the landing rate really much different? Also, with barbless, do you give slack when the fish jumps or keep the line tight?

Just wondering......as much C&R as I do, the trebles sometimes do to much damage when trying to unhook the fish, so I'm looking at bending back the barbs on some of my lures. Thanks in advance.......Mogul.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You might want to try single hooks instead of a treble, they do less damage, nothing wrong w/ pinching down the barbs though. I agree w/ Kodiak, keep some tension on the fish when it jumps- bow to the fish, but don`t leave totally slack line.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It also takes a couple of times to get used to handling the fish when you bring it to you. If you keep it in the water near shore, chances are the hook will come free. Its best to not pull your line up with the fish because if it jars loose and you've pulled it up a few feet, its a nasty fall for the fish. Just slide it up to the shore and reach down grab it in the water. If your like me I have to have it in my hands, take quick pic with it and tap it on the back and watch it swim away!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts