Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a KVD fillet knife last year at Walmart, paid $7 or $8 bucks I believe .. it looks great and the packaging makes it sound like a great knife but I feel like I have to put a good bit of pressure on it (this is for filleting walleye btw).

I've only filleted ~10 fish w this thing and I'm just not happy. I searched the forum and ran across this thread from 2008. There's some good info in there, and some mixed thoughts.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/3-colorado-fishing-lounge/25868-who-makes-best-fillet-knife.html

Some folks were keen on the cheap Rapala knife from WM (they liked the blade but disliked the handle). Then I ran across some other posts about some pricey knives ($75+) and electric knives.

I wonder if the sentiment about the lower priced Rapala knife holds true 10 yrs later from anyone?

Basically I'm looking for a good knife (doesn't have to be the best, but good) that'll last a while and ideally is < $25.

Amazon has a lot of options, reviews are mixed. Not looking to invest in a superb caliber knife or electric knife quite yet, so would like something of good quality in the interim.

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated.

Thanks, Adam

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most times fillet knives are stainless steel. SS doesn't always hold a good edge like a good old carbon steel blade. If you don't have a stone, get one. One with a fine side and one side a little rougher. They're usually only about $10. There are a lot of sharpening techniques but for a blade so flexible this what I do and it works for me. If blade is really dull like yours I usually put a little oil on the stone, coarse side first, then keeping the angle that's on the blade I move the blade in a circular motion down the entire length of the blade keeping my fingers directly over the blade where it contacts the stone. Find a way to keep the stone stationary, I find setting the stone on small damp towel or damp paper towel helps.Pay particular attention to the curved part near the tip and the tip. Then turn your stone over to the fine side, add some oil (any kind) and make like your trying to slice off a piece of the stone at the proper angle. I slice one side of the blade away from me and the other side towards me, always keeping your fingers below the stone so you don't slice yourself. I do that an equal amount of times (usually 5 or 6) and check the blade. You should be able to slice a piece of printer paper with it. Keep doing it if you need it sharper. Obviously, always use extreme caution at all times. Usually after 4 or 5 fish I run the blade on a steel a couple of times, again, like I was slicing the steel. I only go back to the stone if I can't sharpen the blade with the steel any more. No matter how expensive a knife you get it will need resharpening after multiple use. Hope that helps. Worth a try. (Mine is a rubber handle Rapala)

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
^^^^^^DITTO on both posts above...always have a stone! On large fish like pike I have a Rapala electric I'll start with then finish with the Rapala fillet blade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll second, or maybe third, the Rapala, on both counts: good blade but weird handle. It sharpens quite well -- I just have to figure out how to sand the handle so it feels better. And the price means that if you lose it, it's not the end of the world to buy another. HPH

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The diamond impregnated sharpening blocks and stones Harbor freight sells work great to sharpen my stuff. Cheap enough to keep in the Mini Van. Don't need oil.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I second the carbon steel blade.
I won't have a stainless steel one.

:)

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
Been using Rapala knives for prolly 20 years now. Works great stays sharp if you use that cheap plastic sharpener that comes with. I sharpen it b4 use and 1/2 way thru. In fact Ive had the same one for 15 years now. And I use it a 1000 times per year!

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
I bought a KVD fillet knife last year at Walmart, paid $7 or $8 bucks I believe .. it looks great and the packaging makes it sound like a great knife but I feel like I have to put a good bit of pressure on it (this is for filleting walleye btw).

Thanks, Adam
If it takes much pressure it ain't sharp enough.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Been using Rapala knives for prolly 20 years now. Works great stays sharp if you use that cheap plastic sharpener that comes with. I sharpen it b4 use and 1/2 way thru. In fact Ive had the same one for 15 years now. And I use it a 1000 times per year!
ditto, to the letter... but I'm not as good as slayer with it. He's my hero

1 - 20 of 29 Posts