Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
just the $40 one, its not the cordless. But it has the case with the cutting board, plus in and hook ups for a battery. And two different size blades.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you are cleaning large numbers of fish the electrics are nice to have. When we cleaned a couple of hundred crappies and it made the job bearable. 99 percent of the time I use a sharp standard knife.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I tried my dags electric jobber and hated it I couldnt get the control of the blade I like so I went back to my old blade and as long as its sharp I can still fillet em faster then he does sitting right next to me though it is a little more difficult. If you arent good at filleting get some kids catch a couple hundred bluegill and practice away you will never want to see a fillet knife again but youll be as good as a fish monger when youre done.
Scott

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i used my brothers electric fillet knife and i missed a few bones because it cut them
so i had to go back and look for all the ones i cut
i think i will stay with my knife i dont have to go back looking for cut bones

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
All it takes is practice. Also keep the knife SHARP! It needs to have a razor edge.I've gone through 3 of those cheap red rapala sharpeners in about 5 years.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I bought a Rapala cordless and dont like it...it seems awkward...I like a sharp thin long bladed knife with some backbone a lot better...I think I am going to sell it on Ebay...

·
Registered
405 Posts
HooknLine,

I've used the inexpensive Rapala fillet knives for years, and have to agree that once you get the hang of it, you can make quick work of filleting fish. They also sharpen in an instant with the inexpensive sharpners you you can pickup at Walmart or Kmart.

I have nothing against the electric high end models, but I'd think I'd cry if I were to drop one overboard as I've done on more than one occassion during the last twenty years.

If I were to clean a ton of fish at home or routinely at a cleaning station, then I'd go with electric. But if most of your cleaning is in the field then I'd recommend the old fashion style and go manual.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've always been dealing with the manual style knives. No problem with the knives whatsoever. I just need to sharpen my skills. Every now and then the fillets I cut still look like "D minus quality" biology experiments. Been gettin' better though. My ol' man was quite impressed with the breaded walleye fillets I cooked up over the weekend with him. He only questioned the lack of meat and the few splintering bones. Sorry, Dad.. Still rusty... No, not the knife.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A standard sharp kitch knife will do the job. All you have to do is to practice and get some knowledge of fish anatomy. Do a google search and you will find lots sites telling you how to fillet different kind of fishes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like the cheap rapala knives with the wooden handle 6"-9" deppending on the size of the fish

i like the flexability of the rapalas over a "kitchen" knife especialy when skinning the fillet

but no matter what type you get keep it sharp like a razor

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
i like the cheap rapala knives with the wooden handle 6"-9" deppending on the size of the fish

i like the flexability of the rapalas over a "kitchen" knife especialy when skinning the fillet

but no matter what type you get keep it sharp like a razor
I agree entirely. The Rapala knives do a perfectly good job, and the whole secret is to hone the knife sharp enough to shave the hairs off your arm with. The electric knives are good if you are going to filet a big batch of pike, but otherwise the regular knives are quite acceptable, and easier to clean up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't beleive how much easier the electric is to use for me. I can do a bluegill in seconds. I think they both have their place though. Zman how much do you want for the cordless? Mine has a cord and when your camping alot of times there isn't any power nearby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts