Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just spooling up my new reel with 20lb Seaguar braid and not sure if I'm filling it to the right level. Trying to avoid unnecessary wind knots and tangles when casting. I know general rule of thumb is 1/16 to 1/8 from the lip but this spool has a bevel on it which changes what I would normally define as lip. So should I be filling up to where that bevel starts or am I good where I'm at?
Edit: I put a little more mono backing on since I took this pic so now I came up to about a 1/32nd" or less than a 1/16" from the bevel. Just thinking if I go up into that bevel I'll be asking for trouble, would I be right in assuming that?
Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Just spooling up my new reel with 20lb Seaguar braid and not sure if I'm filling it to the right level. Trying to avoid unnecessary wind knots and tangles when casting. I know general rule of thumb is 1/16 to 1/8 from the lip but this spool has a bevel on it which changes what I would normally define as lip. So should I be filling up to where that bevel starts or am I good where I'm at?
Edit: I put a little more mono backing on since I took this pic so now I came up to about a 1/32nd" or less than a 1/16" from the bevel. Just thinking if I go up into that bevel I'll be asking for trouble, would I be right in assuming that?
Thanks...

Perfect. Seriously. Now try to be SMOOTH with your casts. Don't whip it too hard trying to get that xtra few feet. That **** will cast a mile.....just be relaxed about it and you'll be fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chuckphlegm....just wasn't sure about that beveled/angled edge. Most of my previous reels were just flat and came to a radius on the edge. I would normally fill them pretty close to where the radius started and not fill so as to cover any of the radius... I get you on trying to whip a lure...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Slack in the line is what you want to avoid-slack puts line on the reel looser and then subsequent line goes on the reel more tightly-the looser line peels off the reel and this is what mostly causes a wind knot or rod wrap. Hope I've explained this so you can understand me. :)

Also, close the reel bail by hand instead of letting the bail close by winding the reel. And pull on the line a few inches after you close the bail to get any loose wraps out of the line. Once you do these things for awhile it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Also, close the reel bail by hand instead of letting the bail close by winding the reel. And pull on the line a few inches after you close the bail to get any loose wraps out of the line. Once you do these things for awhile it becomes second nature.
Thanks for the tip. I normally close the bail by hand but never thought about pulling on the line for a few inches. That should alleviate some of the problems I have when I do use a spinning reel......not an issue with my fly reels.

Thanks Kirby.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything you can do to avoid tangles with braid or any line for that matter with a spinning setup really helps. I close my bail by hand but hadn't really pulled on the line afterwards but seems reasonable and after a few times should just come automatic, good tip. Sometimes when you're working any particular bait you don't always have consistent pressure on the line as you're reeling in but I probably should try to work it so I don't have too many "slack" moments. As long as we're going this far on the topic it's important to initially load your line on your spool properly as well. When you load your line it should come off the spool (spool laid on the floor flat) counter-clockwise. Some people say always put the label up when you spool but I've found that isn't always true and may vary by manufacturer. It's also a good idea to spool your line fairly tight.
Thanks for the tips folks. Less time messing with line issues = more time fishin' !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts