Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
In basketball it's hard not to. In high school that could be very demoralizing. But, it's the other teams job to stop you... So the fail is on them.

I remember when Chauncey was still going to GW, they ran up the score and beat North by like 100 points or almost 100. It was insane. I thought nothing of it at the time for North, I was just amazed that there was a player that good that you knew was going to be a pro one day that played locally.

Rob

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
That's just one of the risks of playing HS sports, or anything else in life for that matter, the risk that you may be bested by someone with superior talent. The article makes it sound like the winning coach wasn't trying to humiliate the other team. Maybe the league needs a "mercy" rule. I don't fault the winners or their coach under these circumstances.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheUkrainian said:
I think the winning coach lacked understanding of what high school sports is all about.
Okay... ???

High school sports is all about competition, determination, fortitude, physical fitness, and preparation for success later in life by learning to do your best under adverse circumstances.

Did I get it right?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nothing you can do. :-\
Thats sports, you win some, you lose some, and sometimes you lose some big time!
When I was in High School we lost our homecoming football game 68-17. We didn't blame the other team or cry that they were running up the score, we just tried harder to get better. Our coaches told us if we didn't want them scoring any more on us then STOP EM!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Tubejig said:
Nothing you can do. :-\
Thats sports, you win some, you lose some, and sometimes you lose some big time!
When I was in High School we lost our homecoming football game 68-17. We didn't blame the other team or cry that they were running up the score, we just tried harder to get better. Our coaches told us if we didn't want them scoring any more on us then STOP EM!!
I agree...as a head football coach we always told our boys stop them if you don't want to get blown out...The classy football coaches typically kept the ball on the ground and ran very basic plays with a big lead...Conversely, when I was a head bball coach at the HS level, we always held the ball and worked on our stall game and only took layups if we got a twenty-five point lead...i will say that there are a number of girl's coaches in the metro area who continue to full court press with an 80 point lead in the fourth quarter.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I was on a very losing little league team once.....by the end of the season, the coach was telling a bunch of 10 year olds that we were a bunch of losers.....I still went out, played ball and had a decent enough time. Sounds like there is no bad blood on either schools part, and if I was the losing team, I'd sure as hell be learning how to make sure the rout doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The winning coach could have shown some class and helped develop his bench a little if he would have played them, heck if he did the other team must have been really bad.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Young kids like that aren't gonna stop trying...

If you can't hang with the big boys/girls....then change your team's schedule and play some elementary kids.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Koldkut said:
I was on a very losing little league team once.....by the end of the season, the coach was telling a bunch of 10 year olds that we were a bunch of losers.....I still went out, played ball and had a decent enough time. Sounds like there is no bad blood on either schools part, and if I was the losing team, I'd sure as hell be learning how to make sure the rout doesn't happen again.
wow. I would have thrown a baseball at the coach's groin.

W

·
0 Posts
People used to criticize The U for running up the score. Jimmy Johnson's reply was "You don't like it? Then do something about it."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts