Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have used it twice already, the ipilot is much smoother and more responsive than my old one.

The 80lb/60" vs. 55lb/54" is a no-brainer on my tub in the breeze.

I truly believe that the spot-lock is not as precise as my old one. I dont know how it could be but thats my initial feeling.

Price was 1625 with tax. Sold old one for 450. got 80 rebate. Got 30 in rewards points.

And this friday 6-9pm at BP you get 2x rewards points. so that=60.

So final cost was 1625-450-80-60=1035. Not bad.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My Bud put one on his Ranger last year... spent a bit North of $1400...
He Raves about it !!
I am set up for 'backtrollin" I once had a front mount, foot control 80lb..... I just couldn't master it, specially in the WIND... sold it.
Picked up a MAXXUM 80 lb. bow mount, Hand control, lengthened the shaft to 72" and run it once in a while.... usually when I know its gonna be real windy..
It'd be fun to have one of those "hand control" I- Pilot's though....
I could sit in the back of the boat and run the whole show from there... lol!
Just like one of them "professional" type guides 8)

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I will never own a boat without a Terrova or ipilot of some sort... I have the 80lb and it's like beautiful breasts (I think tits may be over the sheriff's threshold). Interesting about the spot lock...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Love mine, man if they just made one big enough for my offshore boat it would save on the anchoring Halibut fishing and be destructive on Lings.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I will never own a boat without a Terrova or ipilot of some sort... I have the 80lb and it's like beautiful breasts (I think tits may be over the sheriff's threshold). Interesting about the spot lock...
x2

I could not live without the ipilot. I would die.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have wanted one for a while and I plan on buying soon. I have never herd anything bad about them. I have a 60" PD now but the anchor sounds awesome. I just need to figure out when to buy it without the wife knowing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the same unit and love it. Beware..... it will try to eat your line!!! LOL I find that the speed setting can affect the Spot Lock feature. If the speed is set too high, it will overcorrect- especially in higher winds. And then it will overcorrect for its overcorrection. And on and on. If the speed is set too low, it can lose the spot. I also use the compass setting for setting a course rather than the GPS. The GPS setting for course seems to wander all over the place.

Ratt

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im with you on using the compass for course.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have the same unit and love it. Beware..... it will try to eat your line!!! LOL I find that the speed setting can affect the Spot Lock feature. If the speed is set too high, it will overcorrect- especially in higher winds. And then it will overcorrect for its overcorrection. And on and on. If the speed is set too low, it can lose the spot. I also use the compass setting for setting a course rather than the GPS. The GPS setting for course seems to wander all over the place.

Ratt
Im with you on using the compass for course.
Did You Guys get the Universal Sonar?
Or Just attach Your own transducer?
Lowrance or Bird?

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have US2. Hooked my HDS-5 to it. My dash unit is now a Lowrance Elite 7 CHIRP. Just got them hooked up /moved last sun. havent tried the 7 yet!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm using Birds with the Universal Sonar that came with the unit. The use of any other transducer on a Terrova requires some additional wiring along the shaft of the trolling motor and this can become twisted/destroyed if you don't pay strict attention. My understanding is that the wiring for alternate Humminbird transducers will fit into the groove in the Terrova shaft whereas the wiring for Lowrance alternate transducers will not and that makes it much more prone to problems.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have US2. Hooked my HDS-5 to it. My dash unit is now a Lowrance Elite 7 CHIRP. Just got them hooked up /moved last sun. havent tried the 7 yet!
I'm using Birds with the Universal Sonar that came with the unit. The use of any other transducer on a Terrova requires some additional wiring along the shaft of the trolling motor and this can become twisted/destroyed if you don't pay strict attention. My understanding is that the wiring for alternate Humminbird transducers will fit into the groove in the Terrova shaft whereas the wiring for Lowrance alternate transducers will not and that makes it much more prone to problems.
So.... as My feeble brain understands this....
"I Pilot" has its OWN GPS in the "handheld" that communicates with the head unit of the trolling motor?
Whereas, "I Pilot link" uses a Hummingbird F.F. with GPS map to control Your route?
I understand the U.S. option...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I only have the IPilot and didn't buy the Link feature- mainly because a portion of Link's advantage is only realized when using it in conjunction with the Lakemaster Micro SD Card which pertains to the lakes in your region. The Lakemaster Western States card is very minimal in its coverage of Colorado lakes and the newest version (Version 2) is unavailable until, at least, the end of May per recent communication with Humminbird. Additionally, the Link feature can only be used with Humminbird units and to have all units "linked" requires some costly ethernet connections and ports/switches. To my knowledge, the GPS feature is integral to the Terrova head unit whether you have iPilot or iPilot + Link. The handhelds (for either version) just allow you to adjust your settings. I'm just beginning to learn my unit and its functions.

To get back to your original question, I have been happy with the standard Terrova Universal transducer which is hooked up to my bow mounted 859ci HD and actually think that it equals or surpasses the performance of the transom mounted transducer that is hooked up to the console mounted 899ci HD SI.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
So.... as My feeble brain understands this....
"I Pilot" has its OWN GPS in the "handheld" that communicates with the head unit of the trolling motor?
Whereas, "I Pilot link" uses a Hummingbird F.F. with GPS map to control Your route?
I understand the U.S. option...
YES

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have the same unit......its amazing how much you can actually fish instead of messing with the motor. Just set it and forget it. 8)

The only thing that sucks is having to run the wire and transducer on the outside with any DI or SI units. Still debating if I really need the DI function on the bow. The struggle is real. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Sweeeet!! Now the only thing missing up front is a cooler for the Stones!:biggrin1:

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
I just walked out of BPS with the same motor for $1193.00 out the door and that's without the $80.00 mail in rebate or the $400.00 I'm putting my old PD55 I-pilot up for sale! That will drop it down to about $700.00!!! :peace: I got double points tonight so gained back $70.00 in point plus had a members only card for 500 bonus points...WIN WIN!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts