Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I read this right, Carpslinger got on the 1st ice of the season! Snake river inlet @ Dillion. Any one else been out there? Heard it was very good last year.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
mesa lake should be safe I may check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
yesterday afternoon I was driving by Kriley Pond in Golden Gate Canyon State park. It was iced over. I walked out a ways and gave a few jumps. I Stayed dry. If I had my equipment with me I could have fished it.

I would give it a couple more nights before wandering out to the center but it is fishable closer to shore.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
JohhnyO-
Must be that time of year again, because here we are chompin' and looking for news of first ice! I am going to try Golden Gate State Park tomorrow morning just for the thrill of hearing the auger again. Any more news on Dillon? I'd rather go after a few kokes than little rainbows. I bet I run into you again out at Williams Fork again this year. Fish Granby much?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
mscottcody said:
JohhnyO-
Must be that time of year again, because here we are chompin' and looking for news of first ice! I am going to try Golden Gate State Park tomorrow morning just for the thrill of hearing the auger again. Any more news on Dillon? I'd rather go after a few kokes than little rainbows. I bet I run into you again out at Williams Fork again this year. Fish Granby much?
Let us know how you do! I will be working up there tomorrow but may hit it first thing when I get off work on Monday (i work 24hour shifts). Last year I did real good on stockers using salmon eggs just off the bottom. I was fishing about 30 feet from the dam in 8-10 feet of water.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dan-
I didn't make it this morning. I'm gonna try for Tuesday. Let me know if you see anyone out there on Monday and thanks for tips on where to go.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy Smokes, It's been awhile since I've talked to ya Lucky! This is a pretty darn good site! I've fished Granby quite a bit the past couple of seasons, But I really favor the Fork! Looking forward to another EXCELLENT ice fishing season. I'm sure we'll see you guys out there! The "Get-Together" may be a great way to kick things off.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
mscottcody said:
Dan-
I didn't make it this morning. I'm gonna try for Tuesday. Let me know if you see anyone out there on Monday and thanks for tips on where to go.
Nobody out there today but me. I had the privilege of making the first hole! Kind of like being the first kid to sled on fresh snow. Whooooohooo!

I worked along the dam tried the bottom first, nothing then worked a bit shallower. finally started getting hits at 4-5 feet. Had to switch to smaller hooks for stocker trout and brookies. caught a few of each. nothing big but lots of fun. Posted this info in fishing reports too. Ice is consiistant 4 inches thick.

Ice on! Fish on!

Dan

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All right Dan! It always makes me nervous going out on that 1st ice, especally when theres no other holes :eek:. Where is Golden Gate? We are leaving for the Granby area tommorrow morning. We ski quite abit, but I'll have plenty of time to check things out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Top is nearly on at Chambers, but still a little open water in the middle. Joe Wright has been topped for a week.

Anybody been to the Red Feathers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Dan for the report and mostly for being brave. I am one to go on this ice with the proper safety gear but it's soooo much more comforting to see ice holes as well!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I would not call it being all that brave. I watched the weather up here and knew how cold it was getting at night, jumped up and down on the ice in a place I know to be 2 feet deep. then proceeded to drill holes every few feet checking the thickness.

Not Brave, but very cautious!

Johnny, Kriley Pond is on hiway 46 west of Golden about 5 miles east of hiway 119 in Gilpin County.

Dan

·
Registered
935 Posts
Lakes generally freeze in Colorado within a couple weeks of when daily median air temps (halfway between the high and low temp) at the lake drop below freezing (32 degrees F). Small lakes first, large shallow lakes second, large deep lakes last. Hard to find good weather data close to some of the lakes, but you can look at forecast highs and lows and predict within a week or so when the top should go on at most lakes. It's usually safe to fish within a week of topping, too, as long as the median temps stay below freezing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts