Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Celebrated the end of corporate tax season (9/15) and took Friday off.
After taking the kids to school we hit a new place close to home we hadn't tried before.
We showed up around 8:30 am and saw a surprising amount of fish activity and not another soul in sight. It was glorious.
But, after an hour of casting practice we couldn't figure out what the fish wanted. Visibility was about 6" it was that green.
After my bass arsenal failed I switched to a black mister twister to help the fish see it better and I tied on a gold Panther Martin for my lady.

First cast she got a little crappie!

We tried a bit more but no luck. We hiked around the backside and saw A BUNCH of carp sucking the surface and cruising around.
We decided to run to the grocery store and grab some lunch, some white bread, and some sweet corn.

We had a little size 6 bait hook loaded with corn, took the white bread and wrapped it around the corn and tossed it out.

We sat and ate lunch in the shade and watched the poles. Then after about 20 minutes we got our first carp.

We landed three in about an hour and a half. Two were definitely common carp but one, that I didn't get a picture of, was silver with red tipped fins. Never seen one like that before.

Had so much fun I took the kids back the next day to let them feel the tug of the carp! They loved it and I think we are hooked on carp fishing.

Can you tell my 8 year old took this pic?

This was our biggest. I would guess around 4-5 lbs but I forgot my scale.

She wouldn't give it a kiss!

Saw a bite but the line went slack. A little while late I reeled in to move spots and apparently this guy was chillin on the end!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I know that I have given you a hard time before... but I got nothin' but good to say about this report!
That is what it's all about right there. Adorable kids having the times of their life... well done man!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They had a blast Goldie!

Every time I would try to net the one fish it would make a run. Did this about 5-6x and my boy had him on 4lb mono so I told him to let him run so we wouldn't break him off. Being only 5 he was getting a workout and he gave me this look of panic and said, "Help dad, it's too heavy!"

I loosened the drag up a tad more, told him he was doing great and to keep it up, and he was able to do it on his own. Gotta teach em young to man up :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts