Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I had talked about this exact same ice fishing net concept last year when we were fishing, why doesn't somebody just create an ice/fish scooper that you can use to pull the fish out of the ice from? Just trap them once they are in the ice hole so they can't get out.

Well I was watching youtube videos a week or so ago and saw that somebody had thought of the same thing and now they are selling them. I bought one and just got it in the mail the other day, really easy concept....I could have made it myself if I wanted to take the time but I just bought it instead.

I know some people are probably going to reply to my post saying that they would rather put their hands in the water and scoop up the fish, or say that they don't care if a few fish get off while in the ice hole.....not me. There is nothing worse (besides working :D) then ice fishing at Antero or 11 Mile all day long and finally hooking onto a big one, only to have it spit the hook at the top of the ice hole and swim back down........not this year.

Here are the videos on how it works:

Here is the official site and there is a video of how it works on the home page, watch it if you're curious:
http://www.thefishelevator.com/

Youtube video of a guy catching walleyes and using it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DaA22IV7U

My idea was a little different then the guy that is selling these though, I thought it would be better if the fish scooper/elevator at the end could somehow collapse as well so it could be parallel with the ice as you push it down the hole, that way if your buddy gets a fish on, you could walk over to his ice hole and while the fish is in the ice hole, you could collapse the scooper 90 degrees in order to stick the scooper under the fish then somehow return the scooper to it's original orientation that way you can scoop it out of the ice hole. This way you wouldn't need the device in the ice hole the entire time unless you were fishing by yourself or something. You could just scoop up the fish once it is in the ice hole without having to push the fish scooper all the way down to the end of the ice hole and wait for the fish to be in the hole before you pull it up.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Someone posted about this gadget a couple of years back.

It looks to me like just one more thing to go wrong when you're trying to get that fish of a lifetime out of the hole. Be sure to let us know how it works. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've been using one for a couple years and really like it... IMO the thicker the ice the better it works. It sits flat against the ice, almost impossible for it to get snagged on your line. I havent lost a fish yet because of it and have landed several fish I wouldnt have because of it. So I'd recommend it. There are several members on this forum that have one... we'll see if they have had any bad experiences with it.

Let Joel know I recommended it to you he might through you a discount... cant guarantee it, its been a few years since I've talked to him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clint walker said:
I have two that ePiC got for me. Love them when the ice is thick!! Super easy to use and I've have landed more fish because of it.
I'm surprised people on this forum already have one of these, the website was sort of obscure so I figured I was probably the only one. Glad to know it works, I can't wait to try it out next time I go up to Antero. The only concern I have is that it might fall into the ice hole and sink to the bottom, but the website says the hardwood handle floats so I guess I don't have to worry, can you guys confirm that it will float and not sink?

I was thinking about tieing on a float to the top of the handle, but that might not be necessary.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
clint walker said:
I have two that ePiC got for me. Love them when the ice is thick!! Super easy to use and I've have landed more fish because of it.
Do they work on your big pike?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Nittany Lion said:
The only concern I have is that it might fall into the ice hole and sink to the bottom, but the website says the hardwood handle floats so I guess I don't have to worry, can you guys confirm that it will float and not sink?

I was thinking about tieing on a float to the top of the handle, but that might not be necessary.
I doubt they would float if dropped into the hole... but the design would make it kind of hard to drop in the hole. If you are really worried about that some kind of rope put into the handle at the top would probably cure any worry you have.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Nittany Lion said:
I'm surprised people on this forum already have one of these, the website was sort of obscure so I figured I was probably the only one.
those southpark fellas are some smart and crafty dudes. they find all sorts of neat gadgets and tricks to catching and bringin in those big ones... ;D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
When I get a big mack on it always circles the hole right under the ice a while till it's ready to come up, You won't be finding no junk in my hole. (no pun intended) looks like a great idea for panfish if you want to keep your hands dry, for large fish wear a glove and when they open there mouth grab em then you have total control for an easy picture and quick release.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
captain shuyak said:
When I get a big mack on it always circles the hole right under the ice a while till it's ready to come up, You won't be finding no junk in my hole.
X2 Sometimes they will even seemingly hang the hook point on the ice while doing that circling and leverage their way off.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I tell you what, If I was targetting panfish I would say this is a great tool. I have land lots of perch I would have because of this... coming off in the hole and it has saved plenty of trout as well. As far as monster fish like lakers or pike I wouldnt use it unless the ice is over 2ft... if you pop that head up the hole and your line breaks you should still be able to land it.
The trout at Antero circle the hole to and I fight them the same as if I wasnt using this it does not get in the way of the hole at all.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quicsilver171 said:
jamiehughes said:
i'll stick with just my good ol' ice net for the big ones....
I prefer to wrap the net around the jaw of the big ones and then have jamie pull it out of the hole, while the fish dangles over the hole i get the camera ready, haha
doesnt everyone just "lasso" their fish by the lower jaw, i mean it wasnt my fish anyway....ha,ha... the one time i mess up netting a big fish and curtis remembers it for like 10 years... ;D at least we still got the fish in, it just wasnt real pretty...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
jamiehughes said:
....at least we still got the fish in, it just wasnt real pretty...
That's all that matters! :D
yea,it was a big ol' male cutbow and when he was coming up the hole he opened that big hooked jaw up and twisted in the hole getting his face caught in my net.. and it was curtis's girlfriends biggest fish ever, so there was no way we could ever have lost that fish...we would never have been forgiven for that one...

·
Registered
648 Posts
jamiehughes said:
jamiehughes said:
yea,it was a big ol' male cutbow and when he was coming up the hole he opened that big hooked jaw up and twisted in the hole getting his face caught in my net.. and it was curtis's girlfriends biggest fish ever, so there was no way we could ever have lost that fish...we would never have been forgiven for that one...
Yea that was something else, that fish was bigger than any id ever caught at the time and for a second there i thought it was going to fall off!, she would have kick our asses if it did. :D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quicsilver171 said:
jamiehughes said:
jamiehughes said:
Yea that was something else, that fish was bigger than any id ever caught at the time and for a second there i thought it was going to fall off!, she would have kick our asses if it did. :D
there was never any doubt in my mind..... ::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts