Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it! Got my first ever Carp on the flail stick. Not huge as far as carp go, probably 6 pounds or so, but was a heck of a fight on my 6wt and 6lb fluoro tippet.

Took a carp candy!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Very cool! Glad you got into one, it’s been on your radar for a couple years or more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!

Never caught a golden wiper on the flail stick .
I highly recommend trying it. I know some people here will think I am crazy, but catching that fish had me more excited than the last 10 trout I caught combined.

Very cool! Glad you got into one, it’s been on your radar for a couple years or more!

Yes it sure has! Last year I probably spent about 20 hours total trying it without success. I can't wait to try again!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Congrats! (y)

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I highly recommend trying it. I know some people here will think I am crazy, but catching that fish had me more excited than the last 10 trout I caught combined.

Yes it sure has! Last year I probably spent about 20 hours total trying it without success. I can't wait to try again!
They do put up a good fight.

I always think I’ve got the world record walleye on when I first hook one lol.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can’t take credit , it’s a Slayer term.

He owns and occasionally uses a fly rod FYI.

I effin knew it. When you have to catch a fish you have to catch a fish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, was too much fun. Now I just need to cross off the Pike on a fly, Wiper on the fly, Walleye on the fly, and Lake Trout on a fly and I will have met my fly fishing goals for the year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I finally did it! Got my first ever Carp on the flail stick. Not huge as far as carp go, probably 6 pounds or so, but was a heck of a fight on my 6wt and 6lb fluoro tippet.

Took a carp candy! View attachment 31801
That carp candy has been my best early spring fly for the past two seasons for: lgM bass, smallies, crappie and rainbows. Great job on fooling what may be the hardest fish to catch on a fly rod! I hope to upload a video for fly fishing for these freshwater “bones” on the YouTube channel Trout Soup soon and make some nice compilations of fishing for these guys around the state. Again, GREAT catch my friend

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That carp candy has been my best early spring fly for the past two seasons for: lgM bass, smallies, crappie and rainbows. Great job on fooling what may be the hardest fish to catch on a fly rod! I hope to upload a video for fly fishing for these freshwater “bones” on the YouTube channel Trout Soup soon and make some nice compilations of fishing for these guys around the state. Again, GREAT catch my friend
Hey Trout Soup!

Glad to see you here on the forum. Yeah I use the Carp candy for Crappie and have been doing well recently. Caught a few small bass on it as well. Somewhat larger bass have been taking leech patterns, but the fishing has been a bit slow for them. If you like the Carp candy you would probably like the damselfly nymph also. My friend turned me onto these last year and it has been a staple multi-species fly for me. If you tie, check it out here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts