Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few swimbaits in various stages of construction for a LONG time. I have just been fly fishing so much the last few years that I have not been building any lures. I hope to get more baits made this year!

So I just got the final (I hope!) topcoat of EnviroTex on a PVC foiled and photo finished bluegill that is six inches or so.

I had hoped it would look better than it does, but for my first photo finish I think it is not bad. It swam awesome before I got the finish on it, and I hope it does not require much tuning after the fact. I think I need to get a higher RPM motor for my drying setup. I could use more epoxy and get (hopefully) better coverage.

Well, blah blah blah. I will get pix up as soon as it is dry.

SS

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Now you've got me curious - I'd like to see the finished product, and if you happen to have video of it swimming, that as well. And I'd like a bass boat, and a center console inshore boat, and at least 4 weeks of nothing but fishing for the year.

Seriously, congrats on the completion of the swimbait project - I need to take that next step, but I'm the kind of person who has trouble cutting a straight line with a table saw, let alone trying to free-form something.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have made some great swimbaits before, but the foiling is a little fussy. OK, a LOT fussy! ;D

Chris, you can do it. Look at Ken Huddleston's first baits. Elegant is not the best way to describe them. You would never have known that he would one day be where he is, judging from those things. Ugly does not even come close to describing the baits he got started with! Plus, a table leg makes a great bait. Our fish are stupid.

SS

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, could not wait till dry. A little taste:

Drying setup for large baits. Oak and rotisserie motor.

Another one in the works, 8 1/2" Wakebait. Don't know how I plan to finish this one...?

SS

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Very very cool!
Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the wake bait.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
swimbait said:
HookNLine said:
Nice Job dude!

Put me on the email list.

Let's build some alwifes!
Where are you fishing that you want alewife baits? Should not be too hard to do... trade baits for a trip? ;D

SS

Nebraska the greatest state in the U.S. of A! lol jk But yea Lake McConaughy is loaded with alwifes. I'll pay for the bait and take you!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Very nice!! The Bluegill paint job looks awesome.. Be interested in hearing how they they work.. I carved a Rainbow Trout last year..it was meant to be a slow sinker, ended up a wake bait because I couldn't weight it down enough. I'm curious what you carved them out of, though?

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is carved out of PVC "lumber" that expanded PVC trim stuff. Floats like a cork, will never rot or soak up water, white so it needs no primer, has no grain, yeah, I am done with wood. Actually, I have one wood bait that the carving came out real nice on, so I need to get the finish on it done. I put a lot of work into that bait. Hope the finish does not ruin it! It is pretty sick.

I can get great finishes on cranks, but the big baits are still a little tough. I just need to make more.

SS

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
swimbait said:
It is carved out of PVC "lumber" that expanded PVC trim stuff. Floats like a cork, will never rot or soak up water, white so it needs no primer, has no grain, yeah, I am done with wood. Actually, I have one wood bait that the carving came out real nice on, so I need to get that the finish on it done. I put a lot of work into that bait. Hope the finish does not ruin it! It is pretty sick.

I can get great finished on cranks, but the big baits are still a little tough. I just need to make more.

SS
Sweet..I would of never thought of using that kind of material. Ceder-wood was a royal pain! Is it easy to find larger blocks?

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it is easy to find. Home Despot has it.

Cedar IS a PITA, it loves to chip and tear out if your tools are not shaving sharp. I got good at sharpening my knives, and have the bald forearms to prove it. Basswood is where it is at. Nice, clear wood that cuts with easy, seals easy, has a mellow grain, and holds a lot of detail. My super detailed trout bait is basswood, and I have made crankbaits for years with basswood. I love Poe's cedar, but they are lathed I think. I carve.

Just make it easy and use that stupid PVC stuff. Tyvek is the good stuff. You can almost work it with your teeth.

The gill should be dry this evening, I will get it done by tomorrow I think.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
swimbait said:
Yes, it is easy to find. Home Despot has it.

Cedar IS a PITA, it loves to chip and tear out if your tools are no shaving sharp. I got good at sharpening my knives, and have the bald forearms to prove it. Basswood is where it is at. Nice, clear wood that cuts with easy, seals easy, has a mellow grain, and holds a lot of detail. My super detailed trout bait is basswood, and I have made crankbaits for years with basswood. I love Poe's cedar, but they are lathed I think. I carve.

Just make it easy and use that stupid PVC stuff. Tyvek is the good stuff. You can almost work it with your teeth.

The gill should be dry this evening, I will get it done by tomorrow I think.

Cheers!

SS
Great advice...

I didn't realize that you could get it in a large enough piece locally, but I know exactly what you are talking about (being a finish carpenter, I rarely look at the stuff because I can't stand it for trim work). But I can guarantee I'll be looking for it to carve some swimbaits.. One other question: how is its hardware holding strength?

Thank you for the help!!

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plenty strong. 3X Owner trebles on 80lb braid strong once the epoxy is in there.

Just use the long screw eyes. Should do that anyway.

SS

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
swimbait said:
Plenty strong. 3X Owner trebles on 80lb braid strong once the epoxy is in there.

Just use the long screw eyes. Should do that anyway.

SS
Cool.. Thanks.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Very nice-looking bait you've got there, and innovative material as well. The only PVC "wood" I've worked with has been high-density stuff that'd be good for sinking baits - I guess I need to go back by my supplier to see what the lower-density stuff is like. I still have the basic problem - I can't carve a point on a pencil, let alone a bait - too bad we don't have 2 x 4 baitfish!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts