Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble finding free time to get out. And, I have to say, there haven't been a lot of reports here to fill in for time on the water.

This past Sunday I took my 6 year old daughter out to a small lake. It's a nice little place at just under 11,000 feet and not entirely unknown. We used fly rods, though I did change the fly reel out for a spincast reel on her rod. My little one loves to get out but fishing is almost beside the point, though it's always better when we do catch something. We (I) spent a lot of time putting one rod down and picking up the other. Always at exactly the wrong time of course and any takes were on the down rod. We did manage 6 small 8-10" rainbows. Most of the fish were caught on a Pat's Rubber Legs and a couple on some random thread midges I tied. It was a beautiful afternoon and the rain we seem to get every day now even held off for us.

I'm sorry I have no pictures and, therefore, it never......

Other good and bad for the day.
This little place seems to attract more and more meat harvesters. Not bad on it's own and everyone can decide whether to keep or release fish. But, some things I don't care for are the people who limit out and stick around fishing for hours taking up the limited safely sloped ground. And some groups pool their limit with some of their group exceeding their personal limit because the group has not limited out.
Trash. Lots of trash left at the lake and at the parking area. I packed out a bag that i collected and I hope more will decide to pack out what they packed in.
Fishing without a license. Each time I've been here there have been people fishing without licenses. How do I know? Each time I've been here I've been checked and I have seen someone getting written up for the not having a license and/or exceeding limits. It's a positive to me to see active enforcement.

Any negatives aside I would rather be fishing. I hope to get out again soon. Spinney is calling for me to avenge my skunk there last year!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wouldn't downplay what you did and where you went. At least you had a chance to get out and have some fun with the little one. I'm sure that's one memory she'll have for a long time

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't downplay what you did and where you went. At least you had a chance to get out and have some fun with the little one. I'm sure that's one memory she'll have for a long time
Thanks! We're both ready to get out again.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Like you said, at least there sounds to be some heavy enforcement there. Keeping limits for the group is pretty normal. Culling, however, is something that would really piss me off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sometimes those brief outings stick better in memories. For me, I have lots of memories from the local hole with my dad. Even though we fished from Alaska to Colorado, the local hole seems to hold the most laughs and "unexpected adventures".lol

Trash just kills me. I visited Eleven Mile last summer for the first time in over a decade. Took the 5 year old nephew up as his dad was TDY overseas. The trash on the bank just made my jaw drop. We picked up a bunch but it was meaningless. The amount of power bait jars, line, random plastics, clothes, etc. crushed my memories. If I didn't own a parks pass and paid a daily use fee, I would have requested my money back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts