Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching a fishing show and they talked about what catches the most bass. After the plastic worm, they mentioned jigs and trailers. Since I have had some good luck with senkos and such I decided to try them out.

I purchased some "Eakin's" jigs and Zoom Super chunk and was wondering how do you attach them to the jig correctly? How far up the hook does the chunk go?....al the way to the jig head or just on the bend?

Ive also heard of people trimming the skirts and weed guard...does anyone do this? How? Why?
Alot of questions I know...im ignorant of this particular type of jig.

Thanks for the help,

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
i trim weed guards so that there's just a few fibers left over the hook. My theory is that the smaller bass we have here have a hard time chomping the big wee guard to get to the hook.

As far as the skirt goes, I don't trim mine. I have heard of this also but haven't tried it.

In my experience the pork rind or "pig" style trailer is not threaded on the hook like a grub, but just pierced through the "nose" by the hook and it rides in the bottom of the curve of the hook.

I don't use these jigs much, but every so often I will pull one out. There's so many bass lure possibilities to try at any given time it's easy to get into a rotation that you're familiar and confident with and forget about other things to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts