Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A month or so ago my son picked up a Nucanoe Frontier. Been getting it dialed in.

Added a fish finder to the freedom track using a utility box from Harbor Freight and a Ram Transducer arm. Easy to remove for ice fishing. Stows away in the box.

Started off with a transom mount motor and an extended tiller. Worked well.

But, I found a 55 lb thrust V2 Power Drive with i pilot on craigslist for $400 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. Mounted it on the bow on a quick release bracket.

https://youtu.be/T0OJKsNs2O8

Cut the shaft down from 54 inches to 35 inches and added a swivel seat. Two seats in the boat in the pic. One's a paddlers seat so he can take out the nephews and nieces tomorrow.

Going to try it out tomorrow at Monument lake and then me and the boys are going fishing on Thursday. Should be fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A month or so ago my son picked up a Nucanoe Frontier. Been getting it dialed in.

Added a fish finder to the freedom track using a utility box from Harbor Freight and a Ram Transducer arm. Easy to remove for ice fishing. Stows away in the box.

Started off with a transom mount motor and an extended tiller. Worked well.

But, I found a 55 lb thrust V2 Power Drive with i pilot on craigslist for $400 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. Mounted it on the bow on a quick release bracket.

https://youtu.be/T0OJKsNs2O8

Cut the shaft down from 54 inches to 35 inches and added a swivel seat. Two seats in the boat in the pic. One's a paddlers seat so he can take out the nephews and nieces tomorrow.

Going to try it out tomorrow at Monument lake and then me and the boys are going fishing on Thursday. Should be fun.
Nice!!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That's sick Dave! I-Pilot on a kayak:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Well done!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Holy Cow Dave!

I just got into the low end entry model kayak last year but that's the wildest kayak rigging I've seen! I used to have a 55 lb V Drive on my Nitro and I'll bet it'll move that kayak close to 10 mph, or more? That seat, cooler and full size battery are impressive!

I put a Lowrance Hook 4 on my kayak this weekend and bought a Li-ion battery $19 from Amazon (was $19.52 when I bought it, says $24.99 today - don't ya love how they do that pricing gimmick?).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RQW5WG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I measured the Hook 4 at full brightness and it drew about 300 mA. This battery should last over 10 hours. And the impressive thing is it's only 6 ounces. If it lasts I may try it on the ice too, heckuva lot lighter!

Hope to see you out there. Now I know what to look for (son's yak).

Thanks for showing us the way!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah Jerry, you can put two of those seats in there. 12 foot long 41 inches wide...real stable...rated to 650 pounds..four hundred self bailing. I know he'll love spot lock and all the other features. Kayak used was 650...all in about $1400.

I like that battery. Always was a bit worried about getting a lithium battery wet. But, I see more and more people are using them. Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Another quality "Hobie Rig"!!!! Dave you are the Macgyver of fishing mods for small vessels for sure.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the kayak worked great on it's shake down cruise.

My mom, Jim's Grandma at 85 years old. She never learned to swim and had never been on a boat.

My wife and Jim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts