Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the weekend my daughter said something about her coach, it was reported back to the coach and this morning my daughter was kicked off the team. Needless to say I am madder than a wet cat and trying to deal with an upset teenage daughter. Do I have any recourse in this situation ??

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
what she said, was it an opinion, a rumor? Was it mean spirited? My guess a coach has the right to keep whom he wants. Probably unnecessary to kick her off. Kinda weak not to talk to her and find out the facts and or disscuss the issue. Again, my guess is he could cut anyone he wants!

Jim

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
What a dick. Guys like that need to learn their place. There's several ways to accomplish that...and would likely be frowned on here so ill let you use your imagination. >:D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was expressing an opinion about one of the rival schools teams being far better than her own team. There have been problems since the current coach was hired since my wife was the previous coach and in 2 seasons had a state championship ! It was also expressed over the weekend and then reported to the coach by another student, so it is hearsay at best!!

Riv, >:D >:D

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
There's a valuable lesson to be learned here by your daughter, and it isn't about shutting your mouth......It sucks now but will make her better for it in the long run. I'd make light of the situation to some local news outlets so folks know what kind of school administration they are dealing with.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
If that's all it was I would take it up with the principal or whom ever his boss is. That's horse crap! Sounds like he might have an issue with your daughter that goes beyond this issue. Feels threatened because she is the daughter of the previous coach, whom was successful!

Jim

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Contact the Western Slope chapter of the ACLU. They specialize in that type of stuff.

Oh, wait .....Western Slope?.....ACLU?

Yeah.....good luck with that. :D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been issues with the new coach since my wife was replaced by her. I will be speaking with the schools administration about the matter as well.

KK, you are right and I have spoken with her about how we are not truly free to speak our minds when the people in power above us have a different opinion.

Don, I love the sense of humor. You are right, I think WSA probably ran them off like everyone else.

It seems to me that Freedom of Speech must be purchased with lawyers !

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quoted from, http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/Speech/studentexpression/topic_faqs.aspx?topic=speakingout

The U.S. Supreme Court has decided several cases involving the First Amendment rights of public school students, but the most often cited are Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969), Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser (1986) and Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1988).

In Tinker, the Supreme Court said that students "do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate." The court ruled that Iowa public school officials violated the First Amendment rights of several students by suspending them for wearing black armbands to school.

The court noted that the students’ wearing of armbands to protest U.S. involvement in Vietnam was a form of symbolic speech "akin to pure speech." The school officials tried to justify their actions, saying that the armbands would disrupt the school environment.

But, the Supreme Court said that "in our system, undifferentiated fear or apprehension of disturbance is not enough to overcome the right to freedom of expression." School officials cannot silence student speech simply because they dislike it or it is controversial or unpopular. Rather, according to the court, school officials must reasonably forecast that student speech will cause a "substantial disruption" or "material interference" with school activities or "invade the rights of others" before they can censor student expression. The Tinker case is considered the high-water mark for student First Amendment rights.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FFG-

Those cases involve "political" speech. Sounds like this one just involves a member of a sports team bad-mouthing her team and her coach.

Just a little different.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
FFG-

Those cases involve "political" speech. Sounds like this one just involves a member of a sports team bad-mouthing her team and her coach.

Just a little different.
You're right Don, unfortunately this seems to be a very gray area that has not been addressed at the higher levels. I have found tons of case law around the subject but nothing that fits.

"if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit" ;D

I have found some very interesting reading along the way, did I mention that what she said was posted online and not said directly to anyone?

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/PDF/student.internet.speech.pdf

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I have found some very interesting reading along the way, did I mention that what she said was posted online and not said directly to anyone?
Oh, she said it directly, alright. To the whole world.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Oh, she said it directly, alright. To the whole world.
Yep, she is learning a lot about life today. She is a smart kid and will learn from this no matter the outcome. I honestly don't care either way unless the school is out of line in their punishment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts