Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is what I am tying now. I don't know the name of it, but got it at Kirk's fly shop in Estes. Thanks for the tip on scanning. Works like a charm. More to follow now that I can do it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Size 18

8/0 black thread

glow in the dark bead head

peacock hurl

green tinsel I got on a bobbin at a fabric store.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is one I tied last week.

Size 20

Bead head (glass iridescent bead from Michael's)

Black thread

Copper wire ribbing

white mylar wing

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nope we love to see people at work

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
COCarp said:
Per Troutslayer and it works....Throw some flash back on the bead head black beauty.
As a wing case? Or, as a wing coming off the collar?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Djfan said:
COCarp said:
Per Troutslayer and it works....Throw some flash back on the bead head black beauty.
Underneath the wraps...so wing case

EDIT: Tie in the wire and then tie in a piece of flash back or crystal flash and wrap the "flash" forward with the wire and finish the fly how you like.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
COCarp said:
Djfan said:
COCarp said:
Underneath the wraps...so wing case

EDIT: Tie in the wire and then tie in a piece of flash back or crystal flash and wrap the "flash" forward with the wire and finish the fly how you like.
Very cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Dj,

So what are you using for your photo setup? Looks good!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My printer/scanner. I scan it, open it in Microsoft picture viewer, and crop it.

Easy, cheesy, lemon squeezy.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yep. For little guys, scanner is tough to go wrong with. I'm keeping my old scanner though, as it has just a bit more 'focus depth' for getting bigger flies. Case in point:

my new scanner (far cheaper and newer than the old one) handles the little guys just fine but can't handle stuff with hackle. My old one handled both of these babies nicely - the Epson Perfection 1200U:

Now for the new Epson NX430 Small In One copier/scanner/printer. This image has some of the same flies - see the difference?

bummer - the dries look terrible and even the soft hackles fall out of focus!

Love the new printer/scanner/copier, but am keeping the old scanner until it's decrepit!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said. I haven't tried any hackle flies yet.

What are you using for the wings on that fly on the left in the top picture? White with black dots?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Partridge, my friend. I discovered partridge for soft hackles several years ago, and as I'm not a production tyer, my first partridge skin is still going. Makes unbelievably 'believable' legs on wet flies - anything with speckles just does something to how they look in the water.

Get the best quality Hungarian Partridge you can - #1 grades are the best, and really worth it too.

Happy tying!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts