Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just went for an evening of bass fishing at connected lakes in Grand Junction. It's a tough lake to fish with smart bass and tons of small bluegill and green sunfish for the bass to eat, so they are often full.
Anyway I caught the first bass on the year on a 5" lemon shad super fluke. She was a 16 1/2" pig that tipped my scale at just over 3 and a half pounds. I fished without a strike on the fluke for another hour then switched to a spinnerbait. I had one strike slow rolling it and occasionally helicoptering it along the bottom.
Then as the sun went down, I tied on a frog colored rapala skitterpop. I fished it slowly with subtle bloops, and a 14" largie exploded on it a few casts later. Landed him after a brief struggle.
All in all only fished about two and a half hours, from shore without my boat. Still the first bass of the year are always nice. A guy in a boat told me they are catching good amounts of 5  - 6 pounders this spring. Who says Colorado doesn't have a few hawgs? This is one lake that does.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If you would've came to jerry creek with my sunday you wouldn't have waited so long ;) Of course the 17" I caught there didn't even go 3 lbs. :D Connected lakes has some monsters, I am still heartbroken about the 8+ pounder that busted me off when I was using a popper there last year. I didn't get a good look at the fish, but wouldn't have been surprised if it was a 10#. Did you fish any at all where the lakes connect or did you just fish the eastern shore?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just decided to go by a different name on this forum. Oh and BTW water temperature was in the mid 50 range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts