Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down to the pond last night with the new frog gig and forgot my flashlight so made it kinda hard to find the buggers before they bailed but i set a few rods out for cats and had a few bites and once just after changing bait i tossed out and as i was setting the rod down the line strted peeling off (open bail) i fliped the bail and nothing then just as i started reeling in i could feel little taps id stop and wait then nothing start reeling little taps it was wierd so i slowly reeled it in and there stuck in my line as a little bat poor guy had the line tangled round his neck now let me tell ya releasing a stuck bat with no light or gloves was interesting every time i got close he would show me his teeth and knowing bats can cary rabies i wasnt going to get bit i ended up cliping the line about 1/2" from his neck and set him on the ground and he got him self free and crawled up the beach i guess he was too wet to fly. so the grand tally for the night was 1 bat ans a coulple frogs

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i felt sorry for the bugger although defried whole i hear they are tasty and crunchy but i let him go to eat more skeeters

besides they taste better when you pick them out of your grill

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
About 4 yrs. ago early one spring I motored into a cove at Pueblo and there was a blue heron on the shore hopelessly tangled up in fishing line. I beached the boat and walked over to untangle the bird-I was sure he was gonna peck at me. But he was so tired from fighting that fishing line he just stood there and just moved off a few steps when I got him free. He stayed there for about an hour, resting I guess, then left. My good deed for the day.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just had the frogs for lunch my special dish "drunken kermit"

hey kirbydog aint that the greatest feeling to rescue an animal like that

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might have to ty a fly that looks like a bat not much bigger than a mouse and it seams once they hit the water they are screwed

on another note one of them bulfogs had a 2.5" crawfish in his belly!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a pet American bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) that I've had since it was a tadpole. He's about five years old now. Large crayfish aren't a problem for him to swallow. He's also swallowed adult white mice, waterdogs, and goldfish as well as all sorts of bugs and nightcrawlers.

In the wild, a large bullfrog will eat bats, small snakes and turtles, ducklings, songbirds, baby muskrats, and other frogs... including it's own kind. In short, anything that moves and can fit in their mouths... it's history!

American bullfrogs are not native to Colorado (just like every species of trout except the cutthroat). This is why I'll never release him into the wild. I'll keep him 'till he... croaks! (D'OH! ::) )

I hope folks who like to gig for frogs can identify the native species of Colorado frogs of the "Rana" family, (Northern Leopard, Plains Leopard, and Wood frog are the ones you're most likely to encounter). Because of land development, depleting ozone layer, off-road vehicles, and introduced (exotic) species like the bullfrog, native amphibian numbers are declining.

If you do encounter a native amphibian or reptile, please cut them some slack... not as bait! ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the limpness of the 2# test might have made it easyer for him to get tangled

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
All this reminds me of my dogs "toad licking" experience. He foamed at the mouth and got strange as a dog can get for about 2 hrs. Epic says his dog has done this many times. Anybody else?

M

·
0 Posts
i was fishing these trout ponsd at my friends cbin at night and my bells (it was pitch black) kept goin psycho, finally i saw this bat come flying through and knock my line, the whole time i thought the fishies were biting

·
Registered
164 Posts
i dont let my dogs out with me when im fishing, being that they are pit bulls and they have a tendency to get bored and want to mess around with wild life i swear if they would of seen a skunk they are done with....

wow looks like someone knows thier herps in colorado, ive seen and caught some huge bull frogs, but ive never seen any native species of frogs, ive seen toads, and thats about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts