Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is really only one thing a person can do after having four exams in one week. Fish. The dad and I took the boat out for a few hours to see how many walleyes were in post spawn. Marked a lot of large suspended fish in the warm, shallow flats and picked up a couple fish with another big strike missed at the end.

Mine went just under 20

Dad got the better fish at just under 24, on MY Rogue Perfect 10, he needs to start buying his own baits, haha. Not a fast paced night but I was excited since my March fishing this year was horrendous. Also picked up some trout and a crappie.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Haha, Nice "The Dad", pretty good trade college tuition for a Rogue.

Looks like a a fun outing, good job guys!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Good fish, man. Way to put in the work. Also good discretion on not naming the location. I fished with a couple buds there on sat during the day and kinda struggled. Just one fish surprisingly.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Dad got the better fish at just under 24, on MY Rogue Perfect 10, he needs to start buying his own baits, haha.
At least he didn't lose it for you. Nice work!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this is my first year messing around for walleyes seriously at night and there has definitely been some frustration. Went out last night and got a couple more at 19 and 21 inches. My question for any of you serious 'eye guys is how hard do you fish the post spawn? The more research I have done on it seems like most anglers avoid it because fish are super scattered and are difficult to find consistently. This doesn't make sense to me because you know they will be in warmer flats feeding heavily on baitfish....its just a matter of getting a larger bait in front of their face. However, on websites like this guys post way more trophy pics in March in what I assume to be mostly the spawn and prespawn period. What are some of your reasons to like or dislike the post spawn period? Is my strategy of working larger 5-6 in. stickbaits in warm areas and covering as much water as possible legitimate, or will it just yield this slower pace of about 1 fish every two hours? I fished this same water body 4 weeks ago during the spawn twice for a total of seven hours and only hooked one fish despite huge fish rolling all around me in .5 to 3 feet of water. I just don't understand how that period is more productive for most anglers.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Thanks guys, this is my first year messing around for walleyes seriously at night and there has definitely been some frustration. Went out last night and got a couple more at 19 and 21 inches. My question for any of you serious 'eye guys is how hard do you fish the post spawn? The more research I have done on it seems like most anglers avoid it because fish are super scattered and are difficult to find consistently. This doesn't make sense to me because you know they will be in warmer flats feeding heavily on baitfish....its just a matter of getting a larger bait in front of their face. However, on websites like this guys post way more trophy pics in March in what I assume to be mostly the spawn and prespawn period. What are some of your reasons to like or dislike the post spawn period? Is my strategy of working larger 5-6 in. stickbaits in warm areas and covering as much water as possible legitimate, or will it just yield this slower pace of about 1 fish every two hours? I fished this same water body 4 weeks ago during the spawn twice for a total of seven hours and only hooked one fish despite huge fish rolling all around me in .5 to 3 feet of water. I just don't understand how that period is more productive for most anglers.
Groups come and go through the spawn at different times. The early ones are probably still in the post spawn cool down period so the rest are either bumpin uglies or at some phase of the post spawn cool down. They still gotta eat tho. Ive been fishing really skinny water--3 feet or so. Not getting monsters but Ill take it what I can get at a lake like Chatty. Remember, at least three guides out there pull rogues. at 6 lines per boat, that's 18 rogues getting trolled around that lake multiple times a night. IMHO, either try something a little different or try fishing in spots the trollers cant go--skinny water. Just a thought.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Great work CK...dads are always supposed to win...paybacks for wiping your diapered arse junior!...lol I kid mostly...

I have always thought fishing gets easier post spawn since they are thinking about eating instead of babies...and regaining that 30% of the body weight they lost spawning...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts