Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit one of the usual suspects for some laker action this past weekend. Timed it so the weather was crappy. Between my buddy and I, we caught twenty fish or so. Got most of em on kastys but I got a couple on the gigantic 1oz rooster tail. It’s white with a chartreuse blade which I think is money for lakers. No big fish but hopefully we’ll start to see some larger fish show up soon. Water was lower than I’ve ever seen it, think. I’d like to fish this spot as much as possible in the coming months. We’ll see what turns up. If you look at the second fish I’m posting, it kinda looks like something tried to eat it and spit it back out at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice Whomp! What size Kasty do you like for them lakers?
3/8oz or 1/4oz gold kasty is the bread and butter but it’s hard to go wrong with any of them. Whether you throw a 1/8oz or 1oz, you’ll catch fish. My buddy got a 38 incher on what I think was a 1/2oz so even the big fish like them. It’s hard to go wrong with spoons in general…Walmart has a little spoon that is like 1/4oz but it’s called the blue fox, I believe. It’s $1.96 and is a great little spoon. Another reason spoons are great is castability. I can launch a spoon over 1/4oz a country mile with a decent rod…spinning or baitcaster…which is nice for laker fishing because you can cover lots of water.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Grand Lake right now. Family time but I have a couple rods. Might hit Granby on the way home for a tad tomorrow.
Heck ya. I can’t wait to get back up there. Hopefully the next weekend that it’s snowing or raining I’ll find the time…or maybe I can go up tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hit one of the usual suspects for some laker action this past weekend. Timed it so the weather was crappy. Between my buddy and I, we caught twenty fish or so. Got most of em on kastys but I got a couple on the gigantic 1oz rooster tail. It’s white with a chartreuse blade which I think is money for lakers. No big fish but hopefully we’ll start to see some larger fish show up soon. Water was lower than I’ve ever seen it, think. I’d like to fish this spot as much as possible in the coming months. We’ll see what turns up. If you look at the second fish I’m posting, it kinda looks like something tried to eat it and spit it back out at some point.

The kastmaster is my favorite lure to use. I've never attempted to use one to catch lakers. All I've been using is swim baits. Do you let it sink all the way to the bottom? Twitch and pause or steady retrieve? Thanks and nice job!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The kastmaster is my favorite lure to use. I've never attempted to use one to catch lakers. All I've been using is swim baits. Do you let it sink all the way to the bottom? Twitch and pause or steady retrieve? Thanks and nice job!
I use a steady retrieve a lot…sometimes fast, sometimes slow. But then I also like jigging it

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use a steady retrieve a lot…sometimes fast, sometimes slow. But then I also like jigging it

Awesome bro! I had to go to a meeting in Golden and I brought my rod. Stopped at Gross on my way back home and tried the kastmaster out. Worked like a charm. The key was letting it sink all the way to the bottom and slow, steady retrieve. Got into 9 in about 45 minutes. Nothing big, all about 16 - 18 inches. Thanks man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts