Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today for about 5hrs to try my new 4wt. I tried a new small lake that I heard about last year but have never fished. I was surprised to see bluegill in the shallows when I arrived. Caught one after another on a small soft hackle. Some of the larger ones might have been 6-7". Moved on and caught a few small yellow perch, small bass and 4 or 5 crappie on small deceiver like streamers. The biggest crappie was close to 10". Lost a few bigger crappie including one that I saw that was probably in the 14-15" range. I really need to figure out a fly/approach that will keep the bigger ones on. Lost some monsters last year also. Crappie were up against the rocks and were not very aggressive yet.

I have to say that ice fishing is over for me when bluegill are hitting dry flies in the shallows. Caught a few on small march browns on my way out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The ones landed were nothing special, but it was nice to get some time on the fly rod.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I was out there today, some decent gills to be had.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
NICE JOB!
It will all be soft water soon:smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Crappie seem to like hot weather...at least that has been my experience. Bluegill have been active recently for me, with anything that hits the water, and they like a slow retrieve. Sounds like you have them figured out though. Nice to get the fly rods back in action...

·
Registered
11 Posts
What size streamers are you using? I tie sz12, trim material to about 1 1/2 long...bigger hook seems to help me keep em on. Just a suggestion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts