Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! The name is Ian!

Moved to Colorado about 5 years ago from WI, and only really started fishing here about 2 years ago! Been fishing my whole life, just mostly in warm water lakes, so learning about fishing here has been a bit different to say the least!

But enough about me! lets get to Chatfield!

My buddy and i have been hitting chatfield pretty heavily over the last 2-3 weeks.

The first night got me hooked, pun intended!
We were fishing just below the Heron Overlook from about 8-1am during which we got 3 bites!
The first one hit on a shrimp and almost blew up my shimano 4000. It made 4 strong runs and on its 5th my impatience got the better of me, instead of letting it make its run i tried to turn it and pulled the hook.

The other 2 bites were walleye.

since that first night we've tried plum creek, catfish flats, the south ponds and almost every spot in between with no luck other than a couple of pick-up-run-and-drops. we've used shrimp, chicken liver, crawlers, stink bait and cut bait.

while not catching much has been frustrating, sitting in front of the water with my pole in the water and a beer in my hand still has been a blast!

I'm guessing others have had similar experiences, but on the off chance that some one is just killin it out there, hopefully you can shed some light on something we haven't tried yet!

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

Looking forward to being an active part of this forum and learning as much as i can!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Welcome. If you're after cats, Chatfield is an excellent choice, but don't forget about the smaller waters in Denver. Many hold monsters.

Find a book called "Fishing Close to Home". Species lists and regs for nearly all fishable waters in the Denvet area. The smaller waters often hold the larger fishies, and they're more confined.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

When the monster hit my line at Chatfield, it gave me a glimpse back to surf fishing in FL, and i haven't been able to put the rod down since! i'll look into some of the smaller waters!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!
Went out last night near plum creek and got into some smallies and finally broke our catfish skunk, 17" channel Catfish, not amazing, but very encouraging! had another couple of bites, which is far more action than we've had in a while!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try the ponds south of KING FISHER COVE the large pond on the right has CATFISH but also a lot of crawfish if you can keep'em from stealing your bait. but the catfish are there!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts