Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I'm ready to head out in my tube for the first time. If anyone that uses a tube would sharing the things that gave you "ahh, ****" moments the first few times you left shore, the accessories you believe are worthwhile/essential, general pointers, etc would be super appreciated.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Having some sort of an inflatable pfd is a good idea.

Don't drink too much liquid before you go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
You should position yourself so that you can walk backwards into the water after putting on your flippers. Don't attempt a steep angle of entry into the water. Same thing when exiting. Flippers promote faceplants if you try to walk forwards. Inflate the chambers firmly but be aware that the heat of the sun can cause over inflation with potentially ripped seams- especially in the heat of the summer. Fears of tipping- even in high winds and waves- over are generally unfounded. Relax! It's much better than being shorebound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I had planned the entry/exit that way(I've experienced to opposite attempting to take a backwards step in snowshoes and I more or less crumbled to the ground) biological imperatives had not really occurred to me, I'll skip the coffee on float mornings at least until it's warm enough that I won't pee right into the bottom of my waders

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Brian I have a few neoprene life jackets that should fit you if you don't have one yet.

Peeing in your new waders is how you break them in!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The twin-chamber tubes, such as the Fish Cat, have a small cargo area behind the seat. First time out, I made the mistake of thinking that area would stay dry. Nope. Obvious in retrospect, but I left a bag back there that wasn't supposed to get wet.

I've also heard of several people losing the tube by failing to tie it down properly in the bed of the truck. Probably wasn't going to be you, but never hurts to put that on your mental checklist.

Enjoy your new rig...

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you keep fish, keep in mind that the dorsal fin of most fish (walleye, bluegill, etc) can and will puncture the tube if you just drape a stringer over the side of the tube. When this happens, you must paddle very, very fast.

I use a fish basket (which may be illegal at certain local fisheries like Aurora Reservoir).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When and where you gonna go? with enough notice id gladly join you.
Haven't made plans yet but most of the time I work near you, 128th and Zuni, if you have places close to home I'd be up for that but cherry creek, Quincy, Barr, Aurora, Milavec are close options that I'll probably try

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian I have a few neoprene life jackets that should fit you if you don't have one yet.

Peeing in your new waders is how you break them in!
Appreciate the offer and I'll definitely take you up on it. Can't wait to float next to you and the kids when the canoe is ready

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'd start out on a smaller body of water personally, rather than a reservoir. Waves and boat traffic can make it a pain to float. I know I much preferred ponds when I got into floating. I still do. I also discovered less is more with paddling, my first time out I was trying much harder than necessary and getting nowhere. Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Haven't made plans yet but most of the time I work near you, 128th and Zuni, if you have places close to home I'd be up for that but cherry creek, Quincy, Barr, Aurora, Milavec are close options that I'll probably try
Ive only floated a few lakes here. I really enjoy lowell ponds, its small enough to fish the entire lake, and a lot of spots that the shore fishers cant get to. Aurora and chatfield are so huge you feel like you are just kicking the entire time and always worried about getting back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smaller bodies of water make sense, probably won't try anything big with out having a plan for certain areas and a good idea of the wind forecast.

Do Lowell ponds close for winter? I'm thinking I went there in October and struck out

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nope not that im aware of.

There is also a new lake up near me that i want try out at 144th in broomfield, think its called mckay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've looked at that lake a lot and threw a couple lures off the fishing pier. I've definitely seen people floating/paddling around McKay, old posts on here don't make it sound great but I want to head back, super convenient to work. Believe it is artificials only

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Fully inflate and put partially in the water while you wader up. The air will cool by the time you are ready. Top off just before you get in.

Things that can freak you out in a belly boat. Running into things with the bow (your ass). Getting tangled in someones 20lb fishing line and pike..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fully inflate and put partially in the water while you wader up. The air will cool by the time you are ready. Top off just before you get in.
QUOTE]

X2! that will freak you out when it happens and you are 100 yards from shore. I started looking for a leak and kicked in to shore. Water temperature had decreased the air pressure and before I realized it my tube was only about 75-80% inflated...not very comforting. I started inflating at the truck, then put it in the water and top it off after a couple of minutes in the colder water.

·
Registered
910 Posts
what do you use for rod holders? any good ones?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No rod holders yet, going to meet Dr. Joe tomorrow and will make a list of what I wish I had and what I think I can make myself, saw some PVC holders on YouTube that I may try to replicate.

Still looking for accessory recommendations...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts