Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first fly rod, and have decided to give it shot this weekend. I live in the Springs, and never been to the 11 mile canyon, so here's my shot. Please give me any pointers you have so I can have a good first experience. What flies are hot, specific areas at the canyon.....anything?????Help

F

·
0 Posts
It's been a few weeks since I was up there but we did really well spinfishing. The fish were feeding on the surface everywhere...It was one of those times I wish I would have brought my fly rod and a handful of griffiths gnats in various sizes. Go to the last parking area by the dam that whole area is full of fish you shouldn't have a problem hooking into a few fish. Another area you might want to think about fishing below pueblo reservoir...from what I hear its nonstop action perfect for first time flyfisherman. Good Luck I'm sure you'll have a blast and be addicted for life......Another thing that really improves you catch rate is a volvo or any other expensive sedan...just kidding guys ;D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Have you ever cast a flyrod? If not i would go to pueblo there are less trees and bushes to get caught up in. What ohter gear do you have. if you need some help PM me.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For the canyon or anywhere this time of year, go to a fly shop and make sure you leave knowing exactly what a split and indicator presentation consists of.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with Baja. If your just learning you will need some open space. Try the Arkansas below pueblo or the south platte around deckers. Good luck !

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When we say "wide open" are we talking about how much water is open to fish or absense of casting obstructions? If its casting obstructions we're talking about, then I dont think thats much of an issue this time of year. I don't have any reason to make many back casts in the winter. 99 percent of casts are short little flips that I pick up off of the water. I wouldnt even go as far as to call them role casts. On the end of my swing, I let the current and drag on the indicator load my rod enough to pick it up and flip it to my next target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts