Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you think of Colorado Fishing, it's very easy to associate Fly Fishing with those thoughts. This is a technique that has always been in the back of my mind and I find myself in situations at least once a month where I wish I knew how to fly fish...Well I'm finally learning it with my GF! No classes, no in-person instruction; just videos and hints/tips from the comments!
Come join in on our journey to learn fly fishing! We go over our setups and do some fly fishing at our local pond in this episode! We had success getting into 4 different species, and also tangled up a bunch and lost several flies...Figured this is something I'll have to get used to for a long time lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice job on learning the new skill. I learned about 30 years ago from the Orvis fly fishing guidebook!! I taught my wife over a decade ago and that’s the technique we use most of the time, not to say a worm under a bobber for bluegill isn’t a blast too!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Good for you guys .

Always good to have another technique under your belt

Keep your wrist straight and your elbow close to your body, using your bicep and shoulder to generate the cast. ( I saw a lot of wrist movement in your casts).

I’d get some Elk Hair Caddis, #16’s and #18’s, some bead head Prince nymphs, #18’s, and some Adams #16’s and # 18’s.

You can do a dry dropper combo with the Prince, or use them separate .

Other than that have fun, concentrate on fishing and not casting and have fun learning on your own, which imo is the best way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job on learning the new skill. I learned about 30 years ago from the Orvis fly fishing guidebook!! I taught my wife over a decade ago and that’s the technique we use most of the time, not to say a worm under a bobber for bluegill isn’t a blast too!
That sounds cool! It's been a fun process so far, although I don't think I'll ever put down the spinning gear or baitcaster gear haha

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good for you guys .

Always good to have another technique under your belt

Keep your wrist straight and your elbow close to your body, using your bicep and shoulder to generate the cast. ( I saw a lot of wrist movement in your casts).

I’d get some Elk Hair Caddis, #16’s and #18’s, some bead head Prince nymphs, #18’s, and some Adams #16’s and # 18’s.

You can do a dry dropper combo with the Prince, or use them separate .

Other than that have fun, concentrate on fishing and not casting and have fun learning on your own, which imo is the best way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I noticed that while I was out and rewatching the film, something i've been trying to work on and feel i'm getting better with already...Sort of nice recording yourself as it's like film breakdown of other sports. Some of those fish in the video were with a size 18 Adams. The Green drake hatch happened not too long ago in my area so I started with that and had good success! I'm loving the dry fly game and haven't tried an indicator or having anything go under yet....Too exciting seeing the fish bite the fly lol.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Those Mosquito Patterns have been killer for me at high lakes for Brookies and Cutthroat! As we approach the heat of summer I suggest picking up some more terrestrial patterns. I like parachute ants and beetle patterns. The most important tip I can give you is just to have fun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s the most important thing, just have fun, there’s some beaver ponds by my cabin, been throwing flys, but not much action. Considering a worm on a slit shot for a little more action!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha it's definitely been fun, can't help but get a little frustrated but that's just who I am. Mosquito's have been everywhere! I've been told about the terrestrial patterns and foam patterns, picking some up soon. Remy just grabbed a bunch of them.

Haha nothing wrong with some worm action...My buddy Remy, that's his favorite way to fish!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
That’s the most important thing, just have fun, there’s some beaver ponds by my cabin, been throwing flys, but not much action. Considering a worm on a slit shot for a little more action!
Understandable, but there is nothing like having the "magic bug" that they are keying on. Seen it out fish worms tenfold when you do. Finding that "magic bug" is the tricky part!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are casting like it is a spinning rod. You might try putting a heavy rubber band around the butt of your rod and your forearm. This will help to make the rod more of an extension of your arm and engage the larger muscles of your upper arm and shoulder. You must not let the rod drop past 2 o'clock on the back cast. From the video I would guess you are letting it drop way too far back.
Start the rod low to the water, raise most of the line off the water and then accelerate the rod back to about 2 o'clock. There is then a pause and you should feel the line pull on the rod at which point you should move the rod forward sharply using your arm and shoulder, NOT YOUR WRIST.
I am concerned about your line. It should be either a WF-6F or DT-6F (preferably the DT for several reasons which you will find advantageous later).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are casting like it is a spinning rod. You might try putting a heavy rubber band around the butt of your rod and your forearm. This will help to make the rod more of an extension of your arm and engage the larger muscles of your upper arm and shoulder. You must not let the rod drop past 2 o'clock on the back cast. From the video I would guess you are letting it drop way too far back.
Start the rod low to the water, raise most of the line off the water and then accelerate the rod back to about 2 o'clock. There is then a pause and you should feel the line pull on the rod at which point you should move the rod forward sharply using your arm and shoulder, NOT YOUR WRIST.
I am concerned about your line. It should be either a WF-6F or DT-6F (preferably the DT for several reasons which you will find advantageous later).
Thank you for the tips! Have been working on my casting a lot since this video!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts