Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im visiting CO for a while, staying in the denver area. I live in MN and am an avid ice fisherman and I brought out all of my gear with me just in case, sled auger shack, rod,vex ect... am looking to do some fishing on the icee, I've never got trout through the ice. Im willing to drive a distance to find safe ice. Saw some people had been out on monument near CO Springs. Most of the lakes i've seen arent marked on Navionics and I cant find many depth charts. Any tips for areas/depth to get these fish would be awesome. Was assuming im just going to try with kastmasters and small jigs but I have no idea where they would be hanging out. Not asking for any secret spots just any general info.

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
PM sent. Welcome to our site and Colorado!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
For trout I would go between 8 and 20 ft down with your lure 3 to 10 in above the bottom. Look for a rocky bottom or weed beds. Try one rod deeper than the other and move around/try different depths and/or colors if you don't get a hit in 20-30 minutes. Tip lures with meal worms or wax worms and jig one and keep the other still or jig lightly. Use a wire strike indicator on your rods, they usually bite light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
West Lake in Red Feathers lakes, Colorado about 2hrs from Denver.
Ice is 6". I caught brown and rainbow trout all day. Very small white jig tipped w/wax worm.
Closer to Denver try Georgetown lake up I-70 or Antero Reservoir in South Park for some very large trout.

Hit me up next week. You can meet me in Fort Collins and Ill drive from there. Or I can meet you in Denver and we can drive to South Park and go after some very large trout at Antero Reservoir.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Go to Anterihole or 11-mile. Maybe catch some real trout!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Evergreen. 30 minutes from Denver. Took two newbs today -- four of us iced over 100 stockers in under two hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips, gonna head out tuesday and see if I cant make anything happen. Guessing i'll start seeing fish on my flasher if I drill enough holes

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Lake John...Antero without the people...about 986 people less on a weekend day...an extra hour drive...much better experience...easy drive up the Poudre Canyon...

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Lake John...Antero without the people...about 986 people less on a weekend day...an extra hour drive...much better experience...easy drive up the Poudre Canyon...
Long freekin drive for 14" trout. That Poudre drive Sucks! Are we thinking the same lake?

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Yep he should go to Antero with the other 999 people...

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
barely 1.5 hrs from south denver and a real chance at a pig. I been at lake john when its awful crowded

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Trout should be shallow this time of year so if trout is what you want I would suggest starting shallow. IMO

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, welcome. I was at Tarryall 12-29-17, about 12" of ice. 18' fow
caught trout biggest at 16". Jigs red, & meal worm. Also 1/2 of worm on jig.
slowed around 10 am

1 - 18 of 18 Posts