Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I plan on trying ice fishing for the first time this winter.

What are the minimum essential items I need?

• Do I need an auger or how else can I cut a hole? Hatchet or spud bar, but an auger is the best
  • Can I use the spinning setup I already own? Would a kids pole work okay?use what you got,but ice rods are shorter because your generally right on top of the hole, plus the guides are designed to not ice up.

What advice would you give to a first timer? Try Evergreen lake when it fully freezes, or the Chatfield ponds, better action for the kiddos IMO.

What is something you wish you knew before you started ice fishing? It gets cold.

Is it frowned upon to mark the holes you drilled with paint or something? (I'm going to try taking my kids and want them to visibly see where we drill) I don't see the point in the paint..

Does the bite generally die down during the day? For me it is usually better in the early morning and dies off around noon.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Dress warmer than you think you need to, your stationary and on ice, it can get cold.

I plan on hitting Chatty or the Crack when the ice is nice and thick, relatively safe, since I'll most likely be trying it with my kiddos.

Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.