Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Dallas,

Safety first!!!

There are tons of ways to fish and you can get real bogged down with what types of lures & jigs to use. So the advice Fishinlooney gave you is real sound advice. If you can't find someone to take you along who has the gear and experience there are plenty of guides who do ice-fishing trips. Money well spent to learn from someone who does it for a living, has all the gear and will usually supply you with a sandwich or two for your hard earned dollars.

Meanwhile there are thousands of videos on YouTube you can watch to gain more knowledge and tips on what to use and "how to".

Good Luck and BE SAFE!!!!

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Dallas,

One trick I learned a few years back while fishing the rivers in January and February is to use a "liner sock" under your wool socks. They tend to wick away the perspiration really well. I found some the other day at Wally World. The brand was Realtree. 90% Polyester, 5% Nylon and 5% Spandex.

I spend many hours in really cold water and never feel a hint of cold with them under my wool socks. I've used them as well when I am out at 2 am in the freezing cold shoveling snow and never had my feet get cold even with lightweight hiking boots on.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I do the same with a thin acrylic sock under the wool sock, Ninjo, but sometimes when I go with just wool I can't tell a difference.
I chew so I think my circulation is getting bad Goldy. When I try without the liner sock it gets a little chilly when I'm not moving.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
try the 100 proof Schnapps...
OR, stout it up with a bit of EVERCLEAR... maybe 3-4 oz. in a pint....
Makes a WORLD of difference...
I save my drinking game for darts league fellas.... I like to catch fish and get my ass off the ice in one piece. Nothing wrong with having a sip or two to take the chill off, but I can't remember the last time I got a "buzz" fishing. Guess some might thing I'm too serious, but I have a blast just fishin'

· Registered
1,971 Posts
dallas, Everyone's body is a little different. The biggest thing that seems to be an issue for me when ice fishing is the layer between your boot and the ice. Standing or sitting in one place tend to slow circulation and with thinner soles that tends to make your feet colder.

Pac type boots will almost always be a thicker sole than most other type boots, but they can cause your feet to sweat. Best tips I know are to try to keep moving your feet and toes or add some of the packeted type toe warmers in your boot just underneath your toes. I spend many hours in the cold both working and fishing and it seems that my feet are the warmest when they are moving around a little. Changing socks can help also. Sweat is your enemy in the cold. Layering the right type of materials for your body type may take some trial and error.

I'm sure you will get lots of other helpful tips from the vets on here that may help as well.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.