Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Mattyt,

The auger is a strikemaster. I'm not sure what blades are on it, I presume the originals since the thing looks brand new.

View attachment 19290
nice. i have the same one except an 8" it says on the blade somewhere where they are made. The ones from China still work it just seems like they get dull way faster than the Swedish made ones. for whatever reason

· Registered
1,128 Posts
if there is no snow on the ice, yes always. you will be miserable if not. especially trying to drill a hole. there are a ton of good ones out there. i use yak tracks which work well but there are far better ones out there.

typically if there is some snow on the ice you will be good but its always good practice to bring them no matter what.

· Registered
902 Posts
dont buy the cheap walmart cleats i forgot what brand but they have the orange plastic washer around the stud . i think eagel claw makes them. maybe not. think i saw a pair at colorado tackle pro so i think they arent walmart brand. i ripped em second trip out trying to stretch it over boot. and they didnt stay on for crap either. im getting yak trax next.

without them youll be playing the lava game cept the ice is lava and snow is safe to walk on. we end up zig zagging to stay on an inch or so of snow. anymore than than and its like sand. with cleats the sled slides pretty effortlessly on bare ice.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to wear cotton socks on the drive up then switch to wool or acrylic right before you get out of the truck. The cotton will absorb any sweat from your feet and your boots will be warm and dry when you put the other socks on. Lot more fun with warm feet.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to wear cotton socks on the drive up then switch to wool or acrylic right before you get out of the truck. The cotton will absorb any sweat from your feet and your boots will be warm and dry when you put the other socks on. Lot more fun with warm feet.
That's a great idea! Thanks Kastmisser

· Registered
910 Posts
I always have extra socks, and if I'm dragging the sled out quite a way, I change to dry ones after I get set up. I have read that some people use bread bags over their socks on the way out so their liners don't get wet.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Dallas,

One trick I learned a few years back while fishing the rivers in January and February is to use a "liner sock" under your wool socks. They tend to wick away the perspiration really well. I found some the other day at Wally World. The brand was Realtree. 90% Polyester, 5% Nylon and 5% Spandex.

I spend many hours in really cold water and never feel a hint of cold with them under my wool socks. I've used them as well when I am out at 2 am in the freezing cold shoveling snow and never had my feet get cold even with lightweight hiking boots on.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.