Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

· Registered
1,413 Posts
One more thing I should mention: Never have your auger lying on the ice close to where you are fishing unless you have the blade cover on. I was moving some things around in my shed when I brushed my knuckles across the exposed blade of an old hand auger I had on the floor. Sliced it open like butter and I barely hit it. Had to go to urgent care when it got infected and swelled up in 2 hours about 5 days later. The doctor was worried that I cut some tendons but luckily I missed them. That was over a month ago and it still hurts when I hit my knuckle on something so it must have cut the cartilage in the knuckle pretty good. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had fallen on the ice and hit it with some force. I used to use my auger sometimes to prop my rod tip up off the snow but never again.

· Registered
17,067 Posts
I learned it on 11-mile back in 1990. Freekin 33 below and sitting on a bucket. Im thinking maybe death without it--

It changes one's outlook on life.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
I always have extra socks, and if I'm dragging the sled out quite a way, I change to dry ones after I get set up. I have read that some people use bread bags over their socks on the way out so their liners don't get wet.
Absolutely bring extra wool socks. On super cold days I used to use Vasoline on toes, sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper and bread bag over that. Don't laugh, it works! :) Now, with Baffin boots that don't leak I just use thin polypro liners, wool socks and those tea bag toe warmers. Propane heater and a flip up shelter make it real comfortable first thing in the am. 8)

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.