Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

· Registered
11,854 Posts
try the 100 proof Schnapps... 8)
OR, stout it up with a bit of EVERCLEAR... maybe 3-4 oz. in a pint....
Makes a WORLD of difference... :eek:
IFISH knows!!!! My wife likes Tuaca... It's too sweet for me, but if mixed 40/60 with cheapo whiskey, it makes for a good ice drink!

· Registered
1,971 Posts
try the 100 proof Schnapps...
OR, stout it up with a bit of EVERCLEAR... maybe 3-4 oz. in a pint....
Makes a WORLD of difference...
I save my drinking game for darts league fellas.... I like to catch fish and get my ass off the ice in one piece. Nothing wrong with having a sip or two to take the chill off, but I can't remember the last time I got a "buzz" fishing. Guess some might thing I'm too serious, but I have a blast just fishin'

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Last weekend I changed socks and into my boots right before hitting the ice. I used my thinner snowboard socks as a liner and some RealTree Merino (blend?) wool socks. My toes were pretty cold for the first 1-2 hours on the ice then my feet apparently warmed up and I was fine for the remaining 3-4 hours we fished.

Any of you other guys have cold feet for the first few hours?

Anything I could do to start the day on the ice with warm toes?

Thanks guys!

· Registered
1,971 Posts
dallas, Everyone's body is a little different. The biggest thing that seems to be an issue for me when ice fishing is the layer between your boot and the ice. Standing or sitting in one place tend to slow circulation and with thinner soles that tends to make your feet colder.

Pac type boots will almost always be a thicker sole than most other type boots, but they can cause your feet to sweat. Best tips I know are to try to keep moving your feet and toes or add some of the packeted type toe warmers in your boot just underneath your toes. I spend many hours in the cold both working and fishing and it seems that my feet are the warmest when they are moving around a little. Changing socks can help also. Sweat is your enemy in the cold. Layering the right type of materials for your body type may take some trial and error.

I'm sure you will get lots of other helpful tips from the vets on here that may help as well.

Good Luck

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks for the reply Ninja. I rarely have sweaty feet. If I'm not hiking far to get where I'm fishing, I think I'll try keeping the boots on during the drive up so my feet are warm to start the day.

I also could use some better boots. I have some Coleman waterproof boots that aren't "cold weather" but they were just fine once my feet warmed up.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Ah yes, the best part of the ice season... before most have actually gone out and performed the horrid act.

How much money you spent already, dallas?

Ice fishing lends better to drinking than puffing, if you are fishing sketch ice, which is usually what the metro often is. The cracking gets in my head...

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ah yes, the best part of the ice season... before most have actually gone out and performed the horrid act.

Ice fishing lends better to drinking than puffing, if you are fishing sketch ice, which is usually what the metro often is. The cracking gets in my head...
*Auger and Ice Scoop - $15
Two piece Spud Bar - $40
Ice Cleats - $10
Ice picks - $8
Misc (spring bobbers,jigs,bait) - $20
Rod holder - $4
**Boots - $6
*Propane heater - $10
*Humminbird Portable fish finder - $65
Wool Socks - $10

Total ~$188

* Purchased on Craigslist
** Purchased from Thrift Store

I believe I have an ice rod, tacklebox/backpack and a sled coming for Christmas... they were the only things on my list!

· Registered
4,829 Posts
My guess is you have crappy boots. If your feet got cold last week at evergreen then you might lose a toe at a higher elevation lake when its -20 plus in the mornings. Most important piece of equipment to get when starting out is warm gear. If your cold then odds are its going to suck. Pack Boots one size up you want some room so the heat will move around in the boot and pack boots will put some distance from the bottom of your foot and the ice.. Ive only used cheap thick socks my whole life and never had a problem, Carhart/Walls bibs or Onesie suit, hoodie with big hood to fit over hat etc want to keep the breeze off your neck ,,couple pair of glooves. I imagine you might get lucky at a thrift store for some of this stuff. Im sure you know dress in layers.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Parker Tom,

The boots I picked up were used and cheap. They will be what I'll upgrade next.

Once my feet warmed up I was fine, it was only the first hour or so. When it actually got overcast and cold, eventually turning into a good snowfall, my feet were nice and warm.

But yes, I agree I think the boots I have are "waterproof" but not meant for cold temps.

· Registered
5,194 Posts
What pikester said! They help a ton on those horrid SP mornings.
LMAO Tangler! $$$

Ice fishing can be fun.... Drinking is a must on the ice lol

· P I K E
10,350 Posts
also...I bought a pair of these last year and love them, found them at Murdoch's!
http://www.muckbootcompany.com/category/mens-cold-weather-boots

Muck boots...extremely light weight like the old kids moon boots to increase on ice mobility if you cover a lot of ice drilling or hike in...as waterproof as it gets for the foot of slush granby can get since they have models that come up to your knees...and boots rated from 40 to 60 below zero...I had never heard of them and then I came across a pair in a store up in Fairplay one of the most pleasant surprises I have come across...

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/category/MENS

· Registered
11,854 Posts

PUSS

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.