Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be in Breck April 15-20. I have never fished the area. I usually vacation in MT during the summer (i am a teacher). For spring break, i thought i would do a little fly and ski thing. But i am more interested in fishing. It looks like i will be hitting pre-runnoff...i assume. I don't have the money to hire guides....once again, i am a teacher!

I am looking at the Blue River but it looks pretty technical. I just want to get into some fish. Any recommendations on which stretch to fish?

Any other decent opportunities within an hour drive? Gore Creek?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have been reading this forum for a while, i have picked up a lot aleady.

You gotta love the fly fishing community!

·
Registered
19 Posts
About an hour south on CO9 there is Antero Reservoir, Elevenmile reservoir, Spinny Mountain reservoir. The Dream Stream is located between Spinney and Elevenmile. Spinney and the Dream Stream are both Gold Medal waters. A search of this sight will definitely give you what flies to use and specific places to fish. Good Luck...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depending on how many days you plan on fishing... I'd go over to South Park and fish some of the water mentioned above by Renegade. Elevenmile and Spinney reservoirs are both state parks and will require a day pass (~$7). No entrance fee for Antero.

Here a couple links to some close fly shops for conditions/fly suggestions.
www.breckenridgeoutfitters.com In Breck
http://www.fishcolorado.com/reports In Silverthorne with the Blue running right behind it.

You may find less crowds by fishing the Gore or Eagle, but IMO I would rather spend time fishing the Blue tailwater and north of Silverthorne or South Park waters

Good luck and share a report when you have the chance!

Darrin

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Don't let the Blue scare you. Right beside Hwy 9 is a section known as the STEP'S its just a bunch of manicured pools, the fish are stupid,
Up side is limited travel
Down side is that its right by Hwy 9, ahh its dang there mud season so skier traffic will be down
the only thing hard about these fish are how spooky they are, stay low and you'll do fine

·
Registered
176 Posts
Make the drive to the Eagle River and stop into Minturn Anglers for info on the public stretches of water. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might consider the Arkansas--BWOs should be going strong around the Salida area during your trip. Googlemaps says it's 1 hr 40 min. Even if the BWOs aren't moving you should be able to get into fish bymphing w/ caddis larvae. IMO, it's a great place to go for numbers, and the amount of public access is hard to beat. Lots of 12-14 inch browns with a few rainbows mixed in...

Good luck!

W

·
0 Posts
I had the opportunity to go to Breck in Aug last year. I'd never been there. The holes in the Blue looked sweet!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Fishing right through the heart of Breck is great. I suggest a quick stop at Breckenridge outfitters for info.. They are great guys... DO NOT GO TO THE SHOP in that is inside the little mini mall right downtown, they are jerks.

Fishing the blue in town will require tiny 6x and 7x line with an RS2 and a little midge. Soft casts help and understand the fish are not quite as dumb as 720 makes em out to be (either that or I suck.. which is possible)...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Oyey said:
Fishing right through the heart of Breck is great. I suggest a quick stop at Breckenridge outfitters for info.. They are great guys... DO NOT GO TO THE SHOP in that is inside the little mini mall right downtown, they are jerks.

Fishing the blue in town will require tiny 6x and 7x line with an RS2 and a little midge. Soft casts help and understand the fish are not quite as dumb as 720 makes em out to be (either that or I suck.. which is possible)...
Right on, big O. The stair steps suck; fish are way spooky and not fun for a stretch alongside a road. If I'm fishing next to a highway, the fish better be biting with little regard, not the case on the blue along rt. 9; but maybe I too suck. For an out of towner, keep away from the blue in Breck.

Below Silverthorne is decent if you have patience and fish small flies. South park is your best bet and a cool drive over the pass into the next county. drive thru town and look for the giant mr. hankey, the x-mas poo!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I would agree that the Stair Steps are hard, but there are some good spots. At 39 deg 30'32.55N
and 106deg 02'56.77W there is a huge pod of fish with good size to them that respond reliably to miracle nymphs. You may also catch the tail end of spawn, so bring eggs for some great action if it's on. Also, there is a wooden bridge just south of these coordinates that leads to a spring creek with a large number of stupider fish as they're not hit as hard as the fish in the main river. This area has been so good to me that I haven't explored very far south from this area, but what I have done has been tough fishing. In town, you can see some large beautiful fish in slow, crystal clear water. Never tired to go after these but it's a wonderful sight. Have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your input. I like the idea of heading down Rt9 to fish between the resevoirs. I assume you are speaking of the S. Platte when you speak of Dream Stream?

Yes, I will spend plenty of time in Breck Brewery too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
bigskytroutstalker said:
Thanks for all your input. I like the idea of heading down Rt9 to fish between the resevoirs. I assume you are speaking of the S. Platte when you speak of Dream Stream?

Yes, I will spend plenty of time in Breck Brewery too!
If you get up that way, fish the river above Spinney with some egg flys and blood midges. Nice small river with some spawners up in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts