Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching Catfishing and have headed out a few times, without luck so far. I'm using 30 lb braid on a baitcaster with a Carolina rig and fluro leader. I haven't been able to go at night, as my schedule is limited to the early mornings and day.

So far I've been fishing at the South Platte Park ponds. First day I tried some cheese based bait and today I caught and filleted some Bluegill. No bites either time.

I'll keep trying. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

·
Banned
553 Posts
I've been researching Catfishing and have headed out a few times, without luck so far. I'm using 30 lb braid on a baitcaster with a Carolina rig and fluro leader. I haven't been able to go at night, as my schedule is limited to the early mornings and day.

So far I've been fishing at the South Platte Park ponds. First day I tried some cheese based bait and today I caught and filleted some Bluegill. No bites either time.

Catifsh are mainly night time. Caught a few during the day. Its been a tough year for me too. Last year i couldnt keep them off hotdogs. This year i havent caught a single one on them. Get away from those ponds first of all. That place sees more spanish folks than a friday night at the bodega. If youre a beginner hit sloans. That place is stunted with cats. Never caught anything over 4lbs but ive had 30 cat nights before. Double hook your carolina rig too. I found some size 0 circle hooks on ebay and they work great on all sizes. Secure your rod as well. Ive had some 18" cats almost pull the rod in.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Have you looked at John Martin Res I used to fish out there a lot and the spill way at night is pretty good. The inlet at Pueblo is great for night cats not sure about getting in there tho It was the 80s when I would go there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips, I will try again on Friday. I might head out before dawn. I will also try a new spot with less fishing pressure.

A little more on my setup: 7' heavy / fast action rod, baitcaster reel, 30# braid, 1/2 oz barrel sinker, bead, heavy swivel, 20# fluro leader, 4/0 circle hook, (largest I could find locally). I may tie on a second hook next time.

I've been catching bluegill on night crawlers and cutting them up into two rough fillets and the head to get three pieces of bait. I've been careful to leave the hook point well exposed.

I've read here that most of the ponds and lakes in the Denver area support populations of Channel cats. I've been looking at the CPW fish atlas for South Denver ponds with low pressure. I ended up at South Platte park both days as a plan B when my first choice didn't pan out.

I grew up fishing for trout and have been enjoying going after new species. This has been the first year I've done much warm water fishing.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Up it to a 1 ounce weight and drop down a hooksize or two. You dont need massive hooks for massive fish. Run the line tight with a circle hook. Use a 3'-4' leader and dont reel it in once it hits bottom. Then they have that much lenght to not feel tension. By the time they get that far they are committed and already hooked up when they pull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts