Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to tie up a crawdad pattern. I looked through some websites to find one and just gave up and decided to tie my own.......the Crawdizzy..... :D

This is the first fly that I have ever tried to tie up. It was difficult and it's fairly ugly, but I still think it would fool some bass. Here are a few pics.

It was pretty fun and I will probably try to refine my skills with a few more flies. Hopefully it's something I can get interested in.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow....thanks fellers!

I will admit to something though. I made a FAT rookie mistake with this fly. Since I wasn't following instructions because I was making it up as I went, I forgot to add any weight....... ::)

Sigh......I should have wrapped at least one wrap of lead or something but I wasn't thinking. Maybe it will work anyways....

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Very nice first fly. Some weight will be nice, but not totally necessary. When you fish that from your belly boat, cast into shore, into 6" or so of water.. Barely move it and you may be supprised. Weight will help in the future though.

VERY good first effort.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
looks great. in addition to the lead, you might want to try some dumbell eyes tied on top of the shank near the bend. That'll make the lure ride hook point up so it doesn;t catch weeds or the bottom as much. If you do that, you'll probably want to tie the rest of the thing upside down too. One other thing, just for aesthetics, you can cut a notch into the claw feathers to make them look more clawlike, i doubt the fish care all that much though.

S

·
0 Posts
Actually a great job for your first time! As long as the profile / color / action is good it will catch bass for sure.
Oyey and Funk are spot on in reguard to weight, abd the dumbbell eyes are a great way to do it. If you watch a Crawdad moving about, its front and pincers are up high with the tail stuck to the bottom. If you tied in dumbbell eyes at the tail end, you'll get the same posture from the fly, letting the feather pincers and antennae more pronounced inthe water.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks peeps! I am prolly gonna go buy more supplies and get into it. That is a good idea to invert the hook Oyey. I will prolly do that next time.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silent_Light said:
Rivrunnr1 said:
I am prolly gonna go buy more supplies and get into it.
Talk to your financial advisor first... ;) :eek:
I am sure that she won't have too many objections......then again.....I think I will take her to dinner first....Texas Roadhouse sounds good!

Then maybe some desert.....if I am lucky....

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What a nice lookin craw!!!

Not bad for a 'first try' - don't have any pics of my 'first try' on the chartreuse mugger - a fish stole it!!!

Keep on tyin, man. That's a nice finish - you put anything on the 'claws' to keep 'em solid?

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fishingal said:
Keep on tyin, man. That's a nice finish - you put anything on the 'claws' to keep 'em solid?
I actually didn't. I just used those feathers. The feathers have that midline in the middle (don't know what its called). I figured that would do the job....but it's a "try-it-and-see-if-it-works" type of a thing.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ElPasoCounty said:
Could barely see it till you picked it off the pillow... :D :D :D

When are you going to try it out?
I was planning on using it this weekend. I think I am gonna spend the night at Pueblo saturday night.

S

·
0 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
fishingal said:
I actually didn't. I just used those feathers. The feathers have that midline in the middle (don't know what its called). I figured that would do the job....but it's a "try-it-and-see-if-it-works" type of a thing.
If you just put a dab of Fleximent or Softex on the feather, then stroke it into the fibers lengthwise, you'll get a nice durable claw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts