Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a little leery after seeing the ice reports at Antero, so went to O'Haver Lake (near Poncha Springs) yesterday with two other fishing buddies and we caught about 150 stocker trout. We fished for about 4 hours and the action never stopped. Kept one limit to give to a friend but otherwise released all the fish. Ice was about 7-9" and they hit best on jigs tipped with waxworms or nightcrawlers. This lake always produces and it's a great place to take rookies or kids, or to initiate the hard water season, or to go when you've been skunked a couple times in a row at Antero (not that that's ever happend to me of course) and just have to put up some numbers. We had the lake to ourselves until late morning when a couple other groups arrived. I got to try out my new Lowrance ice fishing kit that converts a boat fish finder into an ice fishing unit. It worked much better than expected in 13 fow and I can't wait to try it on kokes in deeper water and on big fish.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Cool beans. O'Haver doesn't lack for scenery either.

How was the road in? Did you use snowmobiles or walk in?

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Dang. I wasted my day at antero. I was thinking about o'hav too....because my fiance actually agreed to come this time. Would have liked to get her onto some fish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The road in was no problem. There's not much snow up there. We drove in a pick-up but I didn't need to put it in 4-wheel drive. I think you could make it up there easily with a front wheel drive vehicle. There were only a couple patches of snow packed road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad about the day at Antero. You might still be able to salvage your outdoorsman image, though, by taking her to O'Haver. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts