Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much to say except, what an awesome day!!! First trip as a boat owner, with my son, no less. We had some obstacles to overcome, had a tough time getting the boat started after getting lost on the way to the lake. Didn't lock the plug in place all the way, so that was interesting. LOL.

Chilly and windy, but the sun felt nice... Water was warmer than the air. Caught several threadfin shad in the castnet but couldn't get anything to eat em... Ended up drop-shotting for panfish on a rocky point. Did pretty well. :)

I'll let the video speak for us. Great day with my son. It's good to be a boat owner.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Cool! :thumb: I forgot the plug too my first time out.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The video made me smile. Nice work. I even enjoyed the music.

There will be lots of learning along the way. Just when you think you have it all down, you will do something foolish like try to launch and leave the transom tie down straps on (I've done that one a few times). You and Buck will remember it all (and laugh about much of it) on the way.

Just a small piece of advice if you are willing to take it. For Buck's birthday (or sooner), invest in a little better life vest for him. Sams/Cotco sell reasonably comfortable neoprene vests for around $25. Or watch Craigslist for one. It will make the experience just a little more enjoyable.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas.

I have 3 life jackets for him. Unfortunately I left his nice blue one hanging in the garage. The one he was wearing here is one of the two spares I have. :)

And the plug was in, but not latched, so it leaked pretty badly. LOL!!! Luckily I noticed it right after we got the boat in the water and before I pulled the car and trailer away. Had to drive back up onto the trailer, pull the boat up, drain it, and then reseat the plug.

If I hadnt seen it, the day would not have as fun. Probably more MEMORABLE though (as in "the day my dad sunk our new boat")

Glad you liked the video. Next time out, we will hopefully have more fish pix and less "got lost, couldnt get the boat started, didnt latch the plug" mumbojumbo. :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If you get the boat up on plane, the water will go right out if the plug isn't in. A buddy of mine had a low deck ski boat growing up. Every morning we would go out, get the boat going, pull the plug, and get all the water out of the boat (it leaked from somewhere). They actually had the plug installed backward, so that you could easily pull it from inside the boat.

If the motor proves unreliable, you can always get a pair of muffs and start it before heading to the lake. Easier to tinker at home than on the ramp.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strangely, this boat has the plug rigged backwards too. LoL

I didnt know you could get the water out without pulling it out of water. Very cool.

The problem with the motor was all me. Cranked and cranked... Wouldnt start.

Then I found the gas bulb/ball.

4 squeezes and we were cruising. Dumbass moment... Hell, I didnt know any better. :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Strangely, this boat has the plug rigged backwards too. LoL

I didnt know you could get the water out without pulling it out of water. Very cool.

The problem with the motor was all me. Cranked and cranked... Wouldnt start.

Then I found the gas bulb/ball.

4 squeezes and we were cruising. Dumbass moment... Hell, I didnt know any better. :)

I'd like to say you won't make that mistake again. Maybe true, maybe not. I have thought I was "stranded" a couple times, only to realize that I flipped the kill switch.......

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Nice Owen! Congrats on the first trip as a new owner!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hoping to get back out Easter Monday... Assuming we have the day off!!!

Probably head east and hit the white bass run on the Tennessee River (which is in full effect right now).

Don't know about "cool," but definitely learned alot and had a good time. I guess that's cool, come to think of it. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Nice!! Glad to see you got the boat out!! I've been jonesin for some fishing therapy lately!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts