Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Thats awesome...now youre hooked.

I was a kid in the mid 80s and also caught my first trout on a flyrod in South Boulder Creek. Whats strange is that it was a brook trout and i havnt seen one in there since...

· Registered
38 Posts
His hands look dry as a bone. Look at his watch. The fish is completely out of the water in his hands with the hook in the mouth. This implies he yanked it out of the water that way.

A trout should be back in the water within 15 seconds of being out of the water or its gills are damaged.

I am sure we have all done worse to a fish. I know I have. Since, I have learned how to handle trout.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I'm not gonna argue it, I'm sure you're a nice guy in person Captain Fly, just don't like seeing a guys first trout get **** on.

People quit posting fish catches cause of this and I know some guys over-handle the fish in an effort for it to "look" properly handled for photos, actually causing more harm than a quick snap.

My Best sincerely.

PD

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
His hands look dry as a bone. Look at his watch. The fish is completely out of the water in his hands with the hook in the mouth. This implies he yanked it out of the water that way.

A trout should be back in the water within 15 seconds of being out of the water or its gills are damaged.

I am sure we have all done worse to a fish. I know I have. Since, I have learned how to handle trout.
Hi,

This is not the first fish I have caught. This isn't even the first trout I have caught, not even close. This is simply the first trout I have caught using a fly. My hands were wet before picking him up and the trout was out of the water for seconds and then released by placing him in the water and slowly moving water over his gills until he swam off. I also always hold my breath as soon as I take a fish out of the water as a reminder of what that fish is experiencing. I have taught my son this same habits as well.

This fish was special to me so I snapped a pic. I rarely take pictures of them but this one was special and I handled him properly thank you.

So, thanks for the advice buddy but I personally respect the fish I catch and handle them accordingly. If you have some real content to add to the forum please do but at 36 posts and the best you can find is critiquing my fish handling? Come on man...

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Catch some more Nympho and post em up my man!!
I will!

While historically I have not taken many pics of my catches I ordered a waterproof camera after taking pictures of this guy because carrying the cell phone in my waders was not exactly helping my confidence when wading....

I do plan on getting more pics going forward. While I didn't take many in the past that does not mean I will not try to get some good ones going forward.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
So, thanks for the advice buddy but I personally respect the fish I catch and handle them accordingly. If you have some real content to add to the forum please do but at 36 posts and the best you can find is critiquing my fish handling? Come on man...
No worries, I believe I gave you a few good tips on how to catch that very fish =)

Good luck in the future.

· Registered
6,685 Posts

Hey captain... You got some actually data to back this up? I know you wanna get fish back into the water as fast as possible... but saying that gills are damaged after 15 seconds?? I need some proof to believe that.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.