Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
huhuhuhuh!

I am lovin this! I decided to tie up some size 22 midge dries. I did this without instruction. I simply eye-balled a midge dry and figured it out by myself. I must say....I am very proud of the final products. My first 2 tries were complete and utter failure and looked like crap.

Then I figured out what I was doing wrong and adjusted. Then the flies started looking a LOT better. These beasties are gonna work GREAT on the Ark I think. Here they are:

I am now going to go try them on the Ark! ;D

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am bringing them all! Hopefully we get some risers in this cloudy weather! Dean, if you wanna, we are gonna be fishing the valco section. ;)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Those look pretty sweet. For a variation you might try tying your wing/case material with excess hanging over the bend, hackle your thorax, pull the case to the eye, tie it down, fold the excess back and tie it in place. Essentially it would be like what you've tied but the wing originates right behind the eye instead of behind the thorax. I have no idea if that would be more or less effective, but it would be a different look while using all the same tying skills as your original.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Lookin pretty nice. What kind of hackle you using for those babies? You gonna post the pattern? ;) Good job on the fishin - sure is nice to catch fish on your own flies, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fishingal said:
Lookin pretty nice. What kind of hackle you using for those babies? You gonna post the pattern? ;) Good job on the fishin - sure is nice to catch fish on your own flies, isn't it? ;)
I dunno if ill post the pattern because I didn't come up with it myself. I eye-balled several midge patterns including a pattern from Arkanglers.

I guess I did all the steps by myself, and they may be different from a lot of people's steps and had to go through trial and error, but it is by no means something I just thought up in my head. I will have to tell you the brand of hackle I am using when I get home....cant think of the name off the top of my head ;)

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I have whip finished a few flies at the back, most of the time, if I would need to do that, I just build the fly backwards. I got that idea from a reverse built trico pattern used on the right coast.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice Pattern, don't worry about whether your the originator it's a nice looking bug. you tied it so it's your bug. share the pattern, lots of people post patterns of the copper john and we know they didn't make it up.. it's always nice when you can use them to and catch fish so congrats on that to,

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nicely done Kyle,

I tied my first flies this year also and caught fish on the Ark here in P-lo.(BWO) It is a hell of a feeling and you do have to laugh at the fish with one question in mind "What the hell were you thinking?" If fish could talk that would be a hell of a conversation..... >:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts