Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bro, a forum buddy and I decided to do a little camping last night at a reservoir that is new to me. My first cast, I got a fat little smallie.

Second cast, a little largemouth. No big ones but lots and they were fun. My brother is pretty much new to fishing and he caught his first bass which was cool.

Then we moved into some deeper sections and my buddy ColoradoMackinaw hooked into something that took him around the corner and either broke him off or popped the hook. I kinda had a feeling it was a wiper so I told my bro to start casting my ghost white shadow rap. About three minutes later, he was hooked up. Nice little wiper and a hell of a fight for a kid who has only previously caught trout.

We fished a little longer and decided to move to the dam to try for some eyes. We got a couple but nothing special. Then I moved off the dam and started working a storm paddle tail shad swim bait right in the corner where the dam meets the shoreline. I figured it was a bottleneck and we had seen a lot of fish jumping and what not. This was around midnight btw. Probably about my third cast or so, my line started flying off the reel. It was probably the longest freshwater fight of my life and he wasn't even that big. Ended up getting the fish close and as it came into about two feet of water, I could see there were two huge walleye swimming right behind the wiper, following him in. They were what I would consider trophies or close to it. I couldn't believe it.

Anyways, fished a little longer and called it a night. We were gonna stay today and go back tomorrow but it's just too wet and our tent and clothing and everything else is soaked to the bone. Great trip, though. Ended up with eyes, largies, smallies and wiper- all released to swim another day. I definitely wanna say that I love shadow raps now. And my love for the storm swimbaits continues to grow. More pics coming.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Not surprised... You seem to know every nook and cranny in this state. I could show you a pic of a fish and if he had a little moss hanging off I bet you'd be able to call it. lol
Don't inflate his filthy head any further...sheesh..

Nice fish...

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Not surprised... You seem to know every nook and cranny in this state. I could show you a pic of a fish and if he had a little moss hanging off I bet you'd be able to call it. lol
Besides you mentioned you were gonna go there and camp-;)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Congrats on your first wiper fishing in colorado will never be the same for ya...they think they want to spawn this time of the year and will pod up in the above locations...

I could see there were two huge walleye swimming right behind the wiper, following him in. They were what I would consider trophies or close to it. I couldn't believe it.
Have seen that happen a bunch of times this time of the year...sometimes its wipers following and sometimes its eyes...one time in heavy surf at atown 3 wipers followed the one i was netting...all 4 were over 12 pounds...I had a large boat net with a long handle for the heavy waves atown gets...they were at the mercy of the waves...I thought about netting all 4 or as many as I could get but worried that 3 fresh wipers would of made my net explode...I should of done it just to see what happened...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Man, I remember when I was still young and taking learning trips with the homies... Good times, good times.

Nice job on the wipa, man! Gonna be hard to go back to trout... :biggrin1:

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
omw!
Hotspot1

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
omw!
Hotspot1
You're joking, right? Of all the posts you claim as a hotspot lately, you choose the one without the location mentioned when there are a bunch with? And also a little search of your name yields reports that YOU have posted of this very fishery with the name in the title of your post.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I took it as Boon being intimate with that spot...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
lmao
Sensi

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
We need sunshine! to get them going...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lmao
Sensi
Nah I just remember you posting big tiger Muskie filets with your signature and then now you telling me I'm hotspotting while I know you've done the same or worse just kinda made me feel like you were being a hypocrite. If it's all in good fun, my bad.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts