Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So t1000r came up to lend a hand. In doing so he talked me into chasing some walleyes. I have never been eye fishing open water and never even caught a eye yet so i was pretty hesitant. I only ice fished for eyes once before for nada. Even bratfish didnt think he was going to talk me into going. We kept it simple and just brought one jerk bait braid rod and one box of lures. Cept my lures werent proven eye lures, they were lures for other fishes. So I wasnt feeling fishing without the key lures. By the time we got yaks loaded and down the hill from woodland park bait shops were all closed. So more reasoning that i didnt want to go. t1000r being the good friend he was didnt take no for an answer.

Bratfish was feeling extra courtesous so he let me use his favorite lure. He decided to test out a new brand of lures to see how it would compare. When we got to the lake it was dark. I have never been to the lake open water or in the day light. So it was pretty eerie launching at a lake ive never been to in the daylight. So we start trolling the shore and there are monster floating logs everywhere! So that adds to the eerie factor. My hobie flippers dont go over big logs very well. Plus i knew t1000r would be upset if i lost his favorite lure. As well as i didnt want to loose the one proven lure we had since id be stuck with my non walleye lures.

I ended up with 4 shortys and 4 keepers. I out fished t1000r for once! To be honest it was due to the fact he didn't have the lure i had! butttt who needs to admit that??? All in all I think I am hooked on eye fishing! Plus now i see why no eyes live past slot limit size! My gf and her mom couldn't believe how amazing it tasted especially since they are spoiled Florida folks.

I was under dressed on the water since i didnt feel like going full Micheline man. So that made my fingers not work very well when trying to get the new floating water proof digi cam. I need to practice my cpr hog trough shots for the tourney coming up. ive usually always had a buddy help with pics if its a nice fish. since it will be every man for himself at the tourney dont think itll be a good idea to depend on others for help. So I only got a few cell pics.

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/lvwolfe/media/eye2_zps7ry9cj6l.jpg.html]
[/URL]

http://s997.photobucket.com/user/lvwolfe/media/eye1_zpseasvhax2.jpg.html

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yeah i have a few nights out finding the right lure. one lure, size, depth, brand. im searching for the toad, but i will take eaters on the search. good fun eye fishing, as lv knows now. its also a challenge as he'll also see..
going to get my deepv out next time.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
its also a challenge as he'll also see..
Challenge:confused: What challenge? According to slayer, catching walleyes at night is super easy. All you have to do is drop any random lure or bait in the water...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If a 1st timer can catch 8-
If the not first timer who took him and showed him the spot and the lure didn't do as well... Beginner's luck, maybe? Don't get me wrong, walleyes are easier to catch at night. Usually...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
i've been at the lake for a while, on the eyes, for a while. so it was no surprise on the catchs. im searching for the toad, with the benefit of eaters on the search. yes night eye fishing is easy at times.:cool:
He was talking about lVrider. I figured you were experienced and put him on the fish. Seems to me you are a good guide. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i wish i was a guide... i love putting friends and family on big fish. i get a rush from hearing the drag, seeing the rod bend..... be it walleye or lake trout....
now lv see's why for the previous weeks i tried to get him on the eyes.
i'll have to make it dtown ward and toss a jerkbait with you ao, and other denverians. i also see you guys on fire too up yonder. at least what you post and share looks like your doing great. good stuff all around man. keep that rod bent gentlemen.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If a 1st timer can catch 8-
one of the prostaffer yak dudes only got one! ahah idk ive got some hours on jerk baiting up north. only difference down here its harder to tell if its a fish or a stick ;]

t1000r tried to say a couple of my shortys were sticks till t
hey started splashing. even my first eater didnt pull any drag and barely bent the rod.

i usually do pretty well when i go fishing with TL. heck first laker trip got me a 12 pounder casting. first eye trip i limited out. my pb laker came from a hole he punched and i stole!

i might have to go out for a evening trip with some day light to see if it is any harder in daylight.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Nope hit it 9am till 5pm. Thats when they bite the best!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts