1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey came across this site which hosts fish consumption advisories for Colorado:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/wq/FishCon/FishCon.htm

Code:
Which water bodies in Colorado have fish consumption advisories? 

Fish consumption advisories have been issued for seven water bodies. Of the seven, five lakes and reservoirs are for mercury contamination. They are: McPhee Reservoir, Narraguinnep Reservoir, Sanchez Reservoir, Navajo Reservoir, which are located in the southwest region of the State, and Teller Reservoir, located northwest of Pueblo. Sweitzer Lake, located near Delta, has a fish consumption advisory due to Selenium contamination. The Willow Springs Ponds in El Paso County have a fish consumption advisory due to Perchloroethylene (PCEs), but they are fenced off and not accessible to the public.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Epic, Thanks for the 'Heads Up'. I read about Mercury levels in fish awhile back in F&S or Outdoorlife. I guess it can be pretty dangerous if you eat alot of fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
especially if your pregnant!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here is what you do with mercury contaminated fish, although it works best in the winter if you catch the fish through a hole: After catching the fish, keep them whole and hang them from a clothes line by their tails. Late at night when it is about as cold as it's going to get you go out and chop their heads off. Mercury does drop, right?

E

·
0 Posts
I'm confused about whether I should worry about the contamination before or after my cigarette? ;)

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
There was an article in the Gazette this week about Willow Springs Ponds polution in Fountain. Ingersol-Rand settled the lawsuit, will pay the county 250k-300k (don't remember exactly) and install a filter. Acording to the Gazette and the company (IR) they have stopped the polution source, an old schlage lock factory in Security.

The ponds will re-open on Memorial Day weekend...

EPC

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ElPasoCounty said:
There was an article in the Gazette this week about Willow Springs Ponds polution in Fountain. Ingersol-Rand settled the lawsuit, will pay the county 250k-300k (don't remember exactly) and install a filter. Acording to the Gazette and the company (IR) they have stopped the polution source, an old schlage lock factory in Security.

The ponds will re-open  on Memorial Day weekend...

EPC
Are these the stinky ponds by the river walk? If so there are some nice looking fish in there, I'll have to wet a line there a few times.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If we spread this rummor about a bunch of lakes are poluted. I bet it would increase C&R. When I see that a lake or stream is C&R I don't fish it not that I don't want to C&R it's because I feel that that area needs to rebuild or regenerate its' population.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chinook said:
If we spread this rummor about a bunch of lakes are poluted. I bet it would increase C&R. When I see that a lake or stream is C&R I don't fish it not that I don't want to C&R it's because I feel that that area needs to rebuild or regenerate its' population.
My girl doesnt like C&R she loves eating fish, so if I go to gold medal waters or to fish the salmon run on the East river or dream stream she wont come or doesnt like coming.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I think we should make a permenant link at the top of the page for these cosumption advisories, and give all the info a person would need to make the informd decision like info about the natural levels in fish.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
grod_001 said:
Cherry Creek WASN'T in there????? now that is surprising
No, they have a chicken **** fertilizer problem from the turf farm upstream. Seems like the fertilizer makes the walleye grow huge. No wonder they taste like chicken(**** )

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
pikester said:
Here is what you do with mercury contaminated fish, although it works best in the winter if you catch the fish through a hole:  After catching the fish, keep them whole and hang them from a clothes line by their tails.  Late at night when it is about as cold as it's going to get you go out and chop their heads off.  Mercury does drop, right?
I like the theory behind that. I am still laughing though.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Sure are Epic...Head east out gate 20 from Ft Carson (East on exit 132) and they're 1/3 mile on the right. You can always see fish on the topwater as you drive by...

·
Registered
272 Posts
LOL
Those little ponds right there outside gate 20 have about a Jillion No Fishing Signs all around them. However I see folks fishing them all the time. There are not mass quantitys but you do see folks fishing on them from time to time. I have seen 2 big men fishing off one of those small little boats.
The huge fish you see on the surface in the big pond are I believe a type of carp. I have seen some very nice large mouth bass in the smaller pond. Would love to go dip a line in them to see what you come up with.

Anyone know if they are actually going to stock these ponds? If so what are they putting in there? I hope some Catfish/Bass/Crappie. That would just make my summer. Small ponds very close to where I work, with easy access. LOL so I can see shoulder to shoulder combat fishing out there soon. ;D

Bout-Time

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bout-Time said:
LOL
Those little ponds right there outside gate 20 have about a Jillion No Fishing Signs all around them. However I see folks fishing them all the time. There are not mass quantitys but you do see folks fishing on them from time to time. I have seen 2 big men fishing off one of those small little boats.
The huge fish you see on the surface in the big pond are I believe a type of carp. I have seen some very nice large mouth bass in the smaller pond. Would love to go dip a line in them to see what you come up with.

Anyone know if they are actually going to stock these ponds? If so what are they putting in there? I hope some Catfish/Bass/Crappie. That would just make my summer. Small ponds very close to where I work, with easy access. LOL so I can see shoulder to shoulder combat fishing out there soon. ;D

Bout-Time
That little boat you saw out there is the quality control guys, I've seen them out there a couple times fixin aerators, netting fish, and taking samples... I know a guy who has fished it a couple times and says there are some nice ones in there, the carp are big if that is your thing... Yes they are going to stock it and the company that is responsible for the poluting is footing the bill.

When looking this place up I found this picture... looks like its always been combat fishing there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
pikester said:
Here is what you do with mercury contaminated fish, although it works best in the winter if you catch the fish through a hole:  After catching the fish, keep them whole and hang them from a clothes line by their tails.  Late at night when it is about as cold as it's going to get you go out and chop their heads off.  Mercury does drop, right?
Every time I read this is almost makes sense. You wouldn't happen to be a politician, would you >:D >:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts