Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a ice fishing seminar with local Denver Radio/TV host Terry Wickstrom. He was talking about a method of hooking minnows to insure more hook sets. The method was bringing the hook down and threw the dorsal fin so as the point was forward and towards the lips/top of the minnow head. His thoughts on this is that all/most fish will not eat or draw a smaller fish in from behind. The bait could extend it's fin in defense and cause choking or get it stuck.

My question is is this true? Will walleye and other fish do this or will they attack from any direction? Most fish don't swim backwards that well. It also reminds me of snacks eating prey head first. And isn't that how most of use came into this world.

It got me thinking and wanted to know what others thought.

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, predatory fish prefer to eat smaller fish head first, but will take them how they can get them. I've heard the theory on the style of baiting hooks with live minnows, and I have put them on the hook that way when fishing for walleye, but I couldn't tell you whether it made any difference in terms of hook sets. I doubt anyone has ever really done an experiment to find out if it's really better, but among anglers, folklore gets passed around and eventually it is assumed it must be true.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know many of my crankbaits get hit from the side and only the middle treble is ever hooked. Have not tried hooking any minnows that way but what the heck I will try it.

JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts