Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Golden Gate Canyon to see the first phase of the fall colors. When I get my park pass I like to stop in at the Visitor center to feed the rainbow trout in this tiny pool of water.

These things are like pets, you buy the little trout pellets and watch them go nuts! Below is a quick video I snapped Sunday of these bows smacking the pellets on the water surface.

http://jusspress.com/drkmindz1

Now before folks think they can fish here, this is a feeding pond ONLY. No fishing allowed. Even though the rainbows look impressive (some may be around 5 to 7 pounds) the pellet diet and poor water quality HAS to make them taste really bad.

Good fun for the kids!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Looks like the ponds on a family mountian ranch. Visitors would ask if there are any fish in the ponds and we would throw some pellets out. They would be running to get fishing poles as fast as they could.

T

·
0 Posts
Thats cool..

I went to Seven falls a couple of years ago and they have a trout pond below the waterfall. You can feed them pellets.

Big Big rainbows in there.

M

·
0 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Thats cool..

I went to Seven falls a couple of years ago and they have a trout pond below the waterfall.  You can feed them pellets. 

Big Big rainbows in there.
and those trout are gigantic

B

·
0 Posts
There is a house next to McCall that has a duck pond fenced off you can feed the trout in there, There are some gaints. The kids love it. Everytime we go to McCall we stop to feed the ducks and trout.

·
Registered
163 Posts
But at Trout Haven (if I don't have my ponds mixed up) you can fish for the trout! They clean the fish for you and put it on ice. They will even loan you the tackle and have someone come out and put the worms on for the kids.

The first time that my kids went fishing was at Trout Haven. I thought that it was important that their first outing was successful, so we went there. If I remember right, we caught about 6 trout in the 12-14 inch range and it cost us something like $70. They charge per inch.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
There's also a pond behind McDonald's in Estes. They have the gumball style machine w/ pellets. All the Trout are over 20 inches.

Those pellets are good for stocker Trout fishing.  ;D  Just get a couple of bucks worth. Walk around the recently stocked lake/pond tossing those out. When you see fish rise, thats where to set up.  ;)  I know people that use gravel, but that's just not right.  ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
james said:
There's also a pond behind McDonald's in Estes. They have the gumball style machine w/ pellets. All the Trout are over 20 inches.

Those pellets are good for stocker Trout fishing.  ;D  Just get a couple of bucks worth. Walk around the recently stocked lake/pond tossing those out. When you see fish rise, thats where to set up.  ;)  I know people that use gravel, but that's just not right.  ;D
careful that could be considered chumming

C

·
0 Posts
Reminds me of the days that I grew up on a fish hatchery. Feeding those fish were fun! :D

B

·
0 Posts
I can remember as a kid going to Lakeside and feed the catfish popcorn. I don't know if there is still anything in the lake there but it was pretty cool at onr time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you want to see huge lake trout that you can feed, go to the lake at Keystone resort. You can buy a handfull of pellets and feed these monsters that easily are over 3 1/2 feet long. These guys are well trained and come right up to you and take the pellets out of your hand. Be careful, you might lose a finger. You can rent a paddle boat and a whole school of them will chase you expecting to be fed. Too bad you can't fish for them.

As for chumming with trout pellets, I'm known for making some really strange flies and lures (like my Barbie muskie lure), so I'll get a pellet next time I see one and tie a pellet fly. It'll be great for stockers.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
speaking of macall, there is some huge rainbows in that pond, i i like to fish macall also , my brother caught a 21 inch brooder out of there last year

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
There's another pllace like that on Highway 66 before Lyons. Those bruisers are so fat that they just roll up to the surface to get their pellets. I can't remember the name of the place, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts