Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have recommendations for fish finders for a float tube?

I just got a nice gift card from my kiddos football team and decided to get a float tube setup with fish finder.

I love fishing ponds and small lakes but it's time to get off the shore. I fly and lure fish for anything that swims so needs to coves all types of fishing on small bodies of water

·
Registered
902 Posts
Fishing buddy by hummingbird. It's the only decent price ff with side scan. can use it to look for fish in front of you vs just under you. Or so is how my buddy jims uses his. I'm not so confident because it will say there's fish 80 feet away but I'm 30 feet from a big wall like on a dam etc. I might have dropped it too many times or just skeptical.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Wooley bugger.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use my Hummingbird Fishing Buddy on both my pontoon and float tube. Not all that convinced it helps me find fish but it does give pretty reliable information on what's on the bottom in regard to terrain as well as temperature of the water I'm fishing. I actually used it ice fishing prior to purchasing a Marcum Showdown fish finder and it worked relatively well telling me when a fish came through.

·
Registered
869 Posts
get the best electronics YOU CAN AFFORD. IMO, the FishinBuddy series is just a toy. Humminbird does make lots of higher end locators, I've had several, both the greyscale and, now, the color model.

Once you decide on the model, I'd be happy to help you set it up on your tube.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
I got the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI for my new pontoon, closest to my Elite 7 on my boat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrance-Elite-4-HDI-Fishfinder-with-GOLD-Navionics-Chart-Map-Transducer-/221763628320?hash=item33a2246d20&vxp=mtr

I also ordered this finder mount and the magnetic tranducer mount set up for it, should be here today so maybe I can get it put together and finished this weekend!!!
http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!product/prd1/2801748481/2.9ah-u1-float-tube-mount-kit---compact-ff's

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!product/prd1/2801834021/15mm-magnetic-transducer-mount-kit

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lots of ways to go. I have a fishinbuddy that I use - since it is all self contained, it is doable. I have a regular Eagle fishfinder that I have set up on the tube (and pontoon) but it has a lot of parts and battery that makes it clumsy to set up. Maybe the mounts on the previous thread help. I like the humminbird wristwatch finder for simplicity and low weight when packing the tube into a lake. All that I really use the buddy for is depth - to keep the fly in the right depth range - and the wristwatch finder does that. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them anymore. Not sure what I am going to do when mine dies. NOT a smartphone one.

s

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I used a fishing buddy for years...being an older model, it was really only good for structure and depth. The new models have come a long way..they should for $250/$350 dollars. If going that route pick up some rechargeable batteries.

Otherwise, if you have a good size pocket/pouch on your toon ...you can easily set up an elite 3x or 4x on your tube in that pouch..A 3x will work fine for a $100 bucks or so.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'm gonna catch a pike and tame it. That way I can have it pull me in my float tube and point out where the fish are at. Le fishfinder au naturale. And maybe even assist me with the catch if need be. I'm gonna name him...Dilbert

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm gonna catch a pike and tame it. That way I can have it pull me in my float tube and point out where the fish are at. Le fishfinder au naturale. And maybe even assist me with the catch if need be. I'm gonna name him...Dilbert
Kinda like the sword lady from the walking dead?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts