Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in RMNP this weekend on the Colorado at Kewuneeche (I think that's how it's spelled.) There were a bunch of trout in the water, but the spin fisherman were outcatching the flyfisherman by a wide margin. I guess it's a commentary on how stupid trout are--willingly going after an obviously fake lure when they could have a "realistic fly", or it's a commentary on how stupid fly fisherman are, being such purists that it's sometimes harder to catch fish.

Anyway, taking a cue on the success of the spin fisherman, I steal my 7 year old's telescoping rod--barely longer than an icefishing rod and only one step above a Scooby Doo rod. I kept it in my back pocket. When it got slow for me I would throw out the spinner and I would see a lot of fish swim after it. It was kind of a fish finder that had cost me all of $12. I found that it often "recharges" a slow pool of fish without having to search through my flybox for what they want to eat-they'll always swim after a spinner (out of curiousty?) and it seems to induce non-selective feeding.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had kind of a similar experience earlier this summer. I was camped on a river and wade fishing but it had been pretty slow. That evening a buddy joined me with his drift boat and we planned to float the next day. We talked to some guys camped down the river from us and they said they had a great day throwing spinners and rapalas. We started the next morning with nymphs and then a dry-dropper with little luck. Then my buddy remembered the conversation from the day before and I switched over to a huge bunny leech . . .and started hooking up. I ended that day with over a dozen rainbows and browns to the boat, nothing smaller than 15" and quite a few in the 18-22" range. By far the best I'd ever done on that section. The lesson learned for me was that if gear guys are hammering fish, go big and flashy with your fly selection.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have often thought about carrying a compact spinning rod with a small spinner tied on for deep slow pools instead of trying to flyfish them.

good job.

read the response I just posted in the "ratio of strikes to fish caught" thread,

I kind of ranted on the stingy flyfisherman vs who cares aspect.

to reiterate: trout are not supernatural creatures...they eat something if they think it looks yummy...doesn't matter if it's a strike indicator, worm, spipnner, unraveled fly, or perfectly tied $1.98 caddis. I think you're right that some flyfisherman get caught up in the superrealistic.

I always think of fish as waterproof cats...they are curious and will go after something out of instinct or curiousity. put a hookless fly on the end of a string and wave it around in front of a cat...instant fishing!

·
Registered
163 Posts
farmer ted said:
to reiterate: trout are not supernatural creatures...they eat something if they think it looks yummy...doesn't matter if it's a strike indicator, worm, spipnner, unraveled fly, or perfectly tied $1.98 caddis. I think you're right that some flyfisherman get caught up in the superrealistic.

I always think of fish as waterproof cats...they are curious and will go after something out of instinct or curiousity. put a hookless fly on the end of a string and wave it around in front of a cat...instant fishing!
Why use a hookless fly? ::)

On my fly fishing vest I had one of those "Mouse Flys" for bass. Whenever someone asked what I used that for I always told them cats.

One day I was practicing casting on my front lawn. Instead of a fly I tied on a small "pom-pom" from my kids arts and craft supplies. At one point a neighborhood cat came by. I had lots of fun for about 5 minutes. ;D

Doesn't it just *^&^% you off when you are fishing with some of your best flys and some punk 10 year old out fishes you on power bait!?!?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Waterproof cats ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. That's exactly how they are. They can also be indifferent, just like cats. Or curiosity can kill them.

As for carrying a light spinrod for deep pools, I decided to carry one out of competitiveness. I was standing over a bridge recently over the Colorado and I saw a pool of what must have been 100 trout. Someone tossed a spinner right in the middle and they scattered. Then they all chased after the stupid spinner. That did it for me. It's about fishing for me, not necessarily trying to fool a fishcat with a piece of yarn with a hook in it.

As for being outfished by an ten year old with bait, it happened this weekend in RMNP. My girls outfished me 8 to 0 and they keep rubbing it in. I'll post pictures of some of the gorgeous cutthroats they caught soon.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Why use a hookless fly?
you think handling a toothy pike/muskie is dangerous try handling and unhooking a 10pound ally cat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts