Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

How many fish do you typically keep in a season?

• I release all fish caught

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only keep a fish if it is cannot survive

• I keep a select few fish within regulations

• I keep all fish within regulations

• I keep every fish regardless of regulations

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
It's all about selective harvest, Weezy. That depends on what is good for the fishery. That concept does not really fit into any of your poll options.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sashimi said:
I guess I would keep all fishing within regulation, cuz it would mean food for the day... I guess it was how I was brought up in a way...
Are you saying you have no other means to eat?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I only keep fish that are good to eat. Really big fish and Antero trout/salmon of any size don't fit into that category. Trout out of rivers, Blue Mesa, and timberline lakes do fit into that category.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Weezy said:
Sashimi said:
I guess I would keep all fishing within regulation, cuz it would mean food for the day... I guess it was how I was brought up in a way...
Are you saying you have no other means to eat?
Well there are I guess, but it is getting really stressful in this house and it is driving me crazy. I just wanna to dig a hole and seclude myself I guess... I dunno anymore. I'm lost. Right now I'm not in sound mind cuz of all this stress. I don't know anymore.

I don't understand, is it wrong to keep the fish? Better to buy from the store? I don't fish it just for stuffing or make a wall mount like how some people do with other animals. I thought it was okay if they were going to be food, nothing else so their life is not wasted.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Eating fish is good for you, and fish out of some waters are really good to eat. Interesting that a couple poll respondents think it's ok to keep everything they catch regardless of regulations.

·
Registered
153 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
It is definitely o.k. to keep fish. Sometimes. :D

They touch upon some of the concepts in this article. You will learn how to apply these principles to our local fisheries. I hope.

http://www.recycledfish.org/safe-angling/selective-harvest.htm
Well I only keep like 1 or two edible sized fish, since it only me and my sister who ends up eating them. My mom doesn't like dirty fish, and my dad only eat fillet cuz he hate bones.

I don't bring home a whole chainful or bucket/cooler full of fish. Only as food, never for trophy. I remember when a bunch of boys at Golden Ponds caught a basketful of bluegills and just dumped them on the ground and left... well they were already dead when I went to look at their pile of fish.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
walleye seeker said:
option 3 is selective harvest
No, it isn't. It refers to "a select few" fish. The "selective harvest" concept might suggest that in some situations you keep a lot of fish from a particular body of water, not just "a few".

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I selected I C&R 100% of the time...that has been true of the last few season and I make very few exceptions. One exception I made was a couple of years back when camping with some friends who were wanting to keep fish I let 'em have a couple of my rainbows, the fish were around average size for that fishery. One other exception was that a few year back my mom was baby sitting the daughters so my wife and I could ice fish and I kept one bow for her, they're good bows from the fishery I was at {same spot both times}. Anyway to me rainbows are one of the few fish stocked enough in this state to suport a select harvest. Those are the only times I've kept any in the last seven years so I guess I really C&R 99.99999999999999% of the time. Really though I wouldn't even think of keeping something like a 38LBS laker, personaly I'd get a replica if I wanted a mount. A lot of times skin mounts will not last through the years anyway. And it takes many year to produce a fish of that size.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I release 99.5% of the fish I catch.
All but maybe 5 fish were because of a tourney. Pike and then the cwa open I won. Wipers don't live worth a chit in the livewell.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I normally only keep a few of the smaller sized lake trout when I want to eat fresh fish and release the rest, the last few years I have been keeping a lot more and helping people do the same due to the temporary high water conditions at Granby, but any over 22" always go back. I have a boat in AK and take a lot of friends and family out, we keep a lot of salmon halibut,lings and yelloweye from there to eat year round, The larger 100+ lb breeders and large ling cod (easily fished out) go back and when we get into Yelloweye just move to a different area due to the fact these fish can be 60- 80 years old and when brought up from deep water will die and are easily fished out of an area and spend there entire lifetimes in certain small areas. Selective harvest on a renewable resource is fine, as long as common sense is used.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
walleye seeker said:
option 3 is selective harvest
No, it isn't. It refers to "a select few" fish. The "selective harvest" concept might suggest that in some situations you keep a lot of fish from a particular body of water, not just "a few".
Interpret it for what you like - option 3 means you make an educated decision on the fish you are harvesting, and considering the lake's overall health.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Since Im the only one that eats fish in my household, I tend to keep nothing. One place I will say that Im guilty of is keeping fish out of state. I almost always keep a wally from out of state on every trip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was reading some topics, like the 38lber topic on this site and some topics on Fish Explorer. Well I've never caught anything so huge. I think the biggest thing I've ever caught was a silver colored bass with stripes at Golden Ponds when I was a kid, it probably was longer than 12" but definitely shorter than 15", because I remember being a little longer than the platter just barely fit and the platter is 13" long. In Izaak Walton, every thing is probably 12" or shorter, the only big fish I remember is a somewhat skinny but probably over 15" catfish my sister caught since I remember my mom chopping off it's head and laying it next to its body while it was still alive!~!!!! My sister told me she once caught some huge fish with it's guts already hanging out of its body, which she released.

Also, as I said before I only take 1 or 2 fish home, and eat it on the same day usually right when we get home after it is dead we cook it immediately. Isn't the whole point of catching fresh fish is to eat it on the same day. I wouldn't really know what to do with a huge fish, I don't have a huge cooler and I doubt it would fit in a 3g bucket :eek: Probably wouldn't even fit in the pan or oven without being chopped in half or someting.

But I haven't fished since I was 15 since I didn't need a license which was like 5 years ago, but I will keep in mind this selective harvest when 2011 starts. Didn't even know there was even such thing as a "legal size" back then, if it looked big enough to eat it was kept and then we went home to cook it. I don't remember a time when we took more than 3 fish home combined between my sister and I. And our mom wouldn't let us eat it too often from Izaak Walton because she said there was a bunch of lead in the water because of the work site next to it probabl dumping some sort of weird stuff in the water, and then someone told her the place used to be a battlefield in the old times so there is a bunch of lead bullets on the bottom of the pond.

tldr; Will keep the selective harvest in mind when 2011 starts, now that I know about it.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts