Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well just like more first trip to George Town I fished a local lake with similar results and a few surprises.i use to fish this lake quite often but in recent years have seen it deteriorate in quality. so didn't feel like driving to the eastern plains so I thought id check it out. ice is good mostly three to five inches on a good portion of lake but is sketchy toward the dam area. fishing was slow at first with only a couple small rainbows caught then surprise one was a eight inch perch, haven't seen a perch in this lake for years, surprise two was a health beautiful twenty inch brown, unfortunately my phone died for picture but some nice gentleman and his son took its picture and hopefully email soon this is when the fishing really started when I got it on the ice there were eggs everywhere so with that said my new bait allowed me to catch a fish on almost every drop including another perch a saugeye and numerous stocker trout.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thinking about getting an annual there again but prices went way up!!!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the prices there actually started going up last year, lucky us old people catch a break on season passes wasn't going to renew until I caught the perch, god I miss the good ol days when it was loaded with jumbos!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fished there 1st day of the year, caught lots of small perch and trout good to see the perch coming around, dam end to sketchy to try for bass

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't know where "there" is. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think there is somewhere between 285 and Morrison Road. Not sure but that's what I'm thinking. I only ended up with 5 small stocker trout last Monday "there".

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hopefully the perch were let go but then you never know, there is exactly were it has been for years no real secrete,

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
There is exactly where there has been for years. There's no real secret there. So there. ;D I did have a hunch as to where there is. It just seemed magical that everyone knew exactly where there was. :D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive posted a lot of reports from there over the years, it isn't a secrete, a sleeper for sure but has been poorly mismanaged latley at least the last few years, used to be a great perch fishery along with saugeye and smallmouth, head ranger prefers to have stocker trout despite numerous protest from me and others, its a small lake that needs assistance from fisherman to prevent overfishing hopefully it will return to the glory days with that help

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
ive posted a lot of reports from there over the years, it isn't a secrete, a sleeper for sure but has been poorly mismanaged latley at least the last few years, used to be a great perch fishery along with saugeye and smallmouth, head ranger prefers to have stocker trout despite numerous protest from me and others, its a small lake that needs assistance from fisherman to prevent overfishing hopefully it will return to the glory days with that help
I have seen your posts over the years. I have even been there once...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I gathered that a lot of the natural habitat in the lake was washed out in the flood a few years ago. If the food supply is still limited, would it be better to leave the dink perch on the ice to let some get bigger?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think so the lake is not overrun by dink perch there just finally making a comeback ,they didn't disappear because of the flood they dissapeared because so many were kept there were people out there taking there limits every time out not illegal just not good for the fishery, hopefully it won't happen again but probably will.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
lol, its a terrible place to fish. *laugh react*..
keep tellin' them that.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
went there again today this time the first hour was phenomenal for smallmouth including my buddies eighteen inch beast then the rest of the day produced a few stocker trout no perch no saugeye,question ,one of the rainbows I caught was just spewing eggs everywhere,thought they didn't spawn till spring

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
went there again today this time the first hour was phenomenal for smallmouth including my buddies eighteen inch beast then the rest of the day produced a few stocker trout no perch no saugeye,question ,one of the rainbows I caught was just spewing eggs everywhere,thought they didn't spawn till spring
It's spring somewhere---:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts