Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
started the ice fishing season today at Georgetown, like the topic said it was pretty easy fishing caught probably fifty between three of us .pretty much fifty fifty on browns and rainbows. most were caught in the ten fow range a few in fifteen .use micro jigs with wax worms and mealies. also like the topic said brought some home to make dog food.ice were we were was six inches there was an area out in front of bridge with verry thin ice.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
oh yes I absolutely am ,is there a problem with that
While I'm not a lawyer, a case could certainly be made for wanton waste of a game animal, and/or poaching, if said game animal was not used for human consumption but rather taken for personal gain... ie; to save you a few bucks on dog food at the expense of the state... ie; me and every other citizen that pays for them to be purchased and stocked. No better than a poacher IMHO. I would think that a man of your high moral fiber would see that and be smart enough to not brag about it on a public forum.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh casper your more gullible then I ever thought go crawl back on your couch and leave us real sportsmen alone.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should try it casper, instead of just commenting on everything try getting your self off your couch and actually go outside and do something. I dont know maybe learn to fish or hunt or even just take a hike.and by the way the dog just loved her dinner

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow... who cares... they are trout.. from Georgetown... probably taste like dog food anyway. Sounds like littlemac loves his doggo. My dog loves when she gets some fish for dinner. It is like a special treat for her.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Not a fan of Facebook, but if I were..... I'd give this one a like. :smile:
LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!

·
Registered
676 Posts
LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!
Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)
Okay, this one is getting interesting. Here in Montrose we have the Kinikin processing plant that processes quite a few deer, elk, and who knows what else. In their store they offer packaged elk, deer and a fruit(elk or deer) meat specifically for dogs. I use it because it is a good additive for my two goldens who tend to be a bit on the chubby side. I can cut out some of the packaged dog food and mix in enough of the Kinikin meat packages to make the food healthier for the pups.

Am I or Kinikin going to jail?? j/k

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)
No need to call. I am good friends with one of the Colorado Fisheries biologists. He lives here in Montrose and if he thought Kinikin was doing something illegal he would have shut them down years ago. Can't speak for him right now but next time I see him I will ask him about using trout to feed the pups - cats - hamsters - chameleons - or whatever!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I know you can't use game fish for bait. Don't see why you could catch/keep them to solely use as dog food when you can't use them for fish food.
The butcher shop probably uses what are considered to be inedible scraps for their dog food. But hey, no skin off my ass. I didn't admit using game fish for dog food on a public forum... again, carry on! lol

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Called the number.

Pressed 3.

Stated the concerns posted on this forum.

Action, if applicable, forthcoming.

For what it is worth, I do not see an issue here. Not really sure feeding big game meat to a family dog is illegal either. The wanton waste laws, from my interpretation, are intended to ensure that the meat is not left in the field.

And just in case anyone needs an experienced hunting attorney after this escapade, The Law Office of Nathaniel Gilbert will provide a 100% free consultation on your rights as an outdoorsman.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts