Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
And you can use fish you catch as bait in Colorado, so long as it is in the same body of water where the "bait" was caught and that bait is allowed in said lake. Additional limitations as well. Refer to section 4 under Special Conditions and Restrictions:

e. The only species allowed to be taken and used for personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are
minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin,
white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide
bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
And you can use fish you catch as bait in Colorado, so long as it is in the same body of water where the "bait" was caught and that bait is allowed in said lake. Additional limitations as well. Refer to section 4 under Special Conditions and Restrictions:

e. The only species allowed to be taken and used for personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are
minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin,
white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide
bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch.
I didn't say that "fish" were illegal to use as bait, I said game fish.

·
Registered
931 Posts
This question fascinated me. It looks like you have to reasonably attempt to prepare for human consumption any edible parts of wildlife you take (though I'm sure there is some discretion here when enforcing this law). The definition of "wildlife" includes fish.

C.R.S. 33-6-119

(2) Except as otherwise provided in articles 1 to 6 of this title or by rule of the commission, it is unlawful for a person to fail to reasonably attempt to dress or care for and provide for human consumption the edible portions of game wildlife. A person who violates this subsection (2) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall, with respect to big game, be punished by a fine of three hundred dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points or shall, with respect to all other game wildlife, be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars and an assessment of ten license suspension points.

I'm interested in seeing what the CPW says. I know its not uncommon for people to make dog treats out of all sorts of wild game.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I wasn't posting this for you.
Sorry, seems that everyone else was taking shots I thought you were too.
I just wanted to point out to "Mr. sportsman" (and anyone else doing this) that he should maybe not do this and certainly not post it up. Deserves what he gets as far as I'm concerned at this stage.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sorry, seems that everyone else was taking shots I thought you were too.
I just wanted to point out to "Mr. sportsman" (and anyone else doing this) that he should maybe not do this and certainly not post it up. Deserves what he gets as far as I'm concerned at this stage.
Only people taking shots are you and Littlemac, at each other. I am just trying to help my fellow sportsmen out with some fact based information as they may be coming to the forum to help learn something on the topic of wildlife use. And honestly, some good information is coming from this. Just wish we could refrain from the hostility.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Only people taking shots are you and Littlemac, at each other. I am just trying to help my fellow sportsmen out with some fact based information as they may be coming to the forum to help learn something on the topic of wildlife use. And honestly, some good information is coming from this. Just wish we could refrain from the hostility.
LOL... yeah, we don't like each other very much... aaaand, as for the rest, me too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If I remember my history right didn't the Indians use some of the fish they caught as fertilizer when planting their crops? Perhaps the wildlife folks should go after them to! And bears... I understand grizzly bears often only eat certain parts of the salmon they catch. Perhaps that needs looking into as well. ;D

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
by the way I use the guts and bones in my garden so basically the whole fish is being used unlike most people, if anyone here needs to know casper is the ultimate lurker he's a senior member who has never ever posted about his fishing or hunting adventures he just sits on his couch and makes comments about what everyone else does. I even invited him out one Sunday but he was too busy watching his precious football, guess he knows a lot about that ,also from just watching.as far as I know I didnt poach I actually only took a couple, they were taken legally and really the moral of the story is one whole that should have been kick off the site years ago.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You have no idea who I am, what I do, or how often I fish/hunt or post reports. Got any owl or bald eagle parts you wanna trade for some sucker guts to feed your doggy or garden... Mr. real sportsman?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
people can look for themselves, i did, nope no fishing or huntings reports by you never.just the ultimate lurker.its about time for you to go cry to Tony again and get me kicked off the site

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
These two are long time connoisseurs of fish. Here they are waiting to try some striped bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My dogs eat whatever hits the floor their dogs. Well except George he is kinda picky, he will lick the cheese off a Cheeto and spit out the puff part.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts